Ann's Reviews > Outwitting History: The Amazing Adventures of a Man Who Rescued a Million Yiddish Books

Outwitting History by Aaron Lansky

bookshelves: nonfiction

I happened to pick this book up at the library at random as I was waiting for my computer to complete its "install 1 of 1" which was taking forever. If I hadn't been sitting near the "books on books" section I never would have known about it. Really enjoyed this tale of a man and his friends who set out on a mission to rescue Yiddish books over the last 30 years or so. Wonderful stories of people who donated or helped collect books, rich with humor but also realism and pragmatism, keeping all these folks as very real people and not as "picturesques." The tone is affectionate from someone who has found real joy in what he does. But it turned much more serious as the Yiddish Book Center went into the Soviet Union to try to replenish Yiddish libraries lost through years of repression. For it is important to note that the main objective of this organization is not to "collect" but to "provide" by supplying books where needed and digitizing for public use as well as supporting in general the continuation of the Yiddish language. My one quibble is that there were more typographical errors in the book than there should have been. But it was interesting and well-written and made me wish (not for the first time) that my own language skills would allow me to break out of the bounds of English.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outwitting History.

Started Reading