Sandra's Reviews > My Year with Eleanor

F 50x66
Feb 23, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, memoirs
Read in February, 2012

I'm sensing a theme in the books I'm choosing to read. This is my umpteenth memoir in the last six months. I'm not sure if it's because I'm feeling dissatisfied with how productive my life is right now, or if I'm wistfully looking at what life could have been. Or maybe I'm just being voyeuristic. All I know is that this book filled a little niche in my life and for a brief moment in time, I was able to live a little vicariously through Hancock.

Overall, I thought the book was really interesting and well written. I was especially drawn to Eleanor Roosevelt. I would definitely like to read some of the books she wrote. Hancock does a great job of conveying the pioneering spirit that Eleanor was.

I like how Hancock is forced to evaluate the different relationships in her life and realize that her destiny is defined by herself and no one else.

My only lingering questions after reading this memoir, and many more self-realization types of memoirs, are: is this how everyone outside of my little world lives? I don't know anyone who would even dream of doing something like this--throw caution to the wind and devote an entire year to just themselves. What am I missing and am I going to be disappointed in myself 15 years from now for not having done this "year self-discovery" bit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Year with Eleanor.