Anna Tan's Reviews > Claiming T-Mo

Claiming T-Mo by Eugen Bacon

it was ok
bookshelves: review-copy, e-books

The most I can say about this book is that it wasn't quite what I was expecting. The narrative flits between the lives of the women in T-Mo's life and how his dual personality and subsequent disappearance impacted them.

It was interesting, in a way, but also felt disjointed as you jumped from his mother to his wife to his daughter and his granddaughter and it's really not about them, but it is. It's mostly still about him, in a roundabout way. It's also about abuse and abusive relationships and the perpetuation of it over generations, whether the self-serving coldness of Novic that sets T-Mo on his path, or the casual cruelty of Pastor Ike Drew that chased Salem into T-Mo's arms. And it's finally about freedom, about each woman chasing what it means to be herself in the lines of her life, whether in conjuction with or despite of her husband and her family.

At least, I think that's what it's about, between the jumping from person to person and the switches in POV and the alien things that are happening all over the place. I wish I had liked it much better.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Meerkat Press via Edelweiss. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Claiming T-Mo.

May 21, 2019 – Shelved