Noa ☾'s Reviews > Marriage for One

Marriage for One by Ella Maise

it was ok
bookshelves: 2019-releases, romance, kindle, read-in-2019, buddy-read, reviewed

2.75/5 (I don't usually use .75 lol but I feel like a 2.5 was too low and 3 was too high. Sue me.)

This book is abut two people marrying each other, not out of love but out of mutual interests. Rose, our female main character, wants to open a coffeeshop. Unfortunately, her ambitions are "stopped" by her uncle's dying wish and his testament, stating Rose could inherit a property under the condition she marries. One thing leading to another, Jack, a wealthy lawyer, ends up marrying Rose.

I was in the mood to be stomped on by feelings and uwus and love. After reading The Wall Of Winnipeg and Me by Mariana Zapata, I wanted to read about fake marriages because I enjoy that trope a lot. However, Marriage For One didn't do it for me.

The good

* Some aspects of Jack and Rose's relationships were really cute. They both cared for each other a lot.

* The tension between them was amazing and it was a slow-burn romance which I loved. There definitely were some moments where I was swooning at the cuteness and smoothness. The dynamic between the two MCs could be very enticing at times. The sex scenes were good but would make me cringe from time to time. I loved the atmosphere, the city, the coffeeshop "vibe". All that made for a very cute setting.

* The writing style made me want to read more from Ella Maise, I just think this specific story wasn't for me. This one quote I really liked : "In the great scheme of things, we were nothing more than two people who had passed each other while walking through their lives. Couples broke up every day, and we were not special in that regard either. You cried yourself to sleep then woke up and went to work. When you repeated the cycle enough times, one day you woke up and suddenly it didn’t matter all that much. New people walked alongside you and eventually you forgot the ones you left behind."

The bad

* Jack's personality and behavior : he's an unapologetic asshole, and he knows it. But this type of behavior doesn't do it for me. From time to time, he was just plain rude to Rose who would almost always end up apologizing. He didn't really respect her will to be independant, always wanting to supervise everything and not letting her donate in HER name during the charity event etc... He didn't make any effort to understand why she might want the things she wanted.

* Eventually, SPOILER ALERT : so we discover that Jack has a "secret" and basically, that secret is that (view spoiler) Having read the acknoledgments, I think I understand what Ella Maise was trying to do with Jack and Rose's story, I simply didn't enjoy Jack (and I get he's not supposed to be "likable", he's more a cold-hearted guy who's secretly a softie but only for his OTL). (view spoiler) And Rose's behavior ? I wanted her to stand up for herself which she did but only briefly towards the end.

* I felt like Rose's personality was smothered by Jack's possessiveness. (view spoiler) Most of Jack's behavior made me go "Ugh men i swear cannot take responsibility to SAVE THEIR GODDAMN LIFE" (this is a literal note I took on my Kindle haha)

Blog | Goodreads | Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marriage for One.

May 21, 2019 – Shelved