Sarah (thehireader)'s Reviews > Well Met

Well Met by Jen DeLuca

bookshelves: favorites, contemporary-romance
Read 2 times. Last read August 25, 2019.

5/5 stars

Full disclosure: I was initially skeptical about this book because it centers on a renaissance faire. I mean absolutely no disrespect to ren faires or the folks who enjoy them, it’s just not my thing. But I am so glad I didn’t let my initial reluctance deter me because this was an absolute delight and is definitely going on my list of favorite rom-coms.

Well Met follows Emily who has just moved in with her sister to help her and her niece after they were in a serious car accident. She signs up for the town’s faire so that her niece can also participate, not knowing how big of a deal the faire is to the town. Her ignorance is not received well by Simon, the head organizer, for whom the faire holds special significance.

I love enemies-to-lovers; it’s one of my favorite tropes and Well Met is an excellent addition to the genre. Watching Emily and Simon—as their faire characters, Emma the tavern wench and Captain Ian Blackthorn the pirate—warm up to each other was a real treat.

I also loved the underlying story of Emily finding her place to put down roots. At the beginning of Well Met, Emily is newly single, unemployed, and feeling unsure about her own self worth and place in the world. Watching her find connections, not just with the other folks in Willow Creek but also with her sister and niece, gave the story a lovely, but not overly sentimental, emotional depth.

If you love enemies-to-lovers, flirty banter, and a small town setting, Well Met is a must-read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Well Met.

Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
May 21, 2019 – Shelved
May 21, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
July 2, 2019 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
July 2, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
August 25, 2019 – Started Reading