Noa ☾'s Reviews > Vicious

Vicious by L.J. Shen

it was ok
bookshelves: kindle, read-in-2019, romance, trash
Recommended to Noa ☾ by: Holly ✨

There’s a part of me that gets it, you know ? I get the hype, I get it, I do. But there’s another part of me that’s like (☉_☉)

(also, just wanna say this is my personal opinion and i totally respect yours if you did enjoy this book. i wanna add that i'm no expert in the new adult genre and all that, great let's get started)

(view spoiler)

⭐︎ Vicious tells the story of Emilia and Baron "Vicious" Spencer, and the book basically rocks back and forth between their past when they were neighbors back in high school and present day where Emilia is hired as Vicious' PA.

Did I enjoy this book ? Yeah I did. Was it perfect ? Hell no.

⭐︎ There’s a plot and an actual story which was good because it kept me invested in the book but let’s not lie to each other and pretend I give a single fuck about plot. While I did enjoy that, I'm not sure how I feel about the whole "alpha-male" thing. The writing style was fluid and didn't feel like the events were forced. Everything seemed "realistic" to a certain degree. However, I think that I'm so over male entitlement that the moment the "you're mine/you’re my property” line comes up, there's a chemical reaction in my brain (that goes along the line of "I-Won't-Take-Any-Of-Your-Shit-Not-Even-For-A-Second-SIT-DOWN") and that persona in me jumps out of the dark corner in my mind she was hiding in and it takes the enjoyment out of the situation and reading experience. And that’s not me saying there’s something wrong if you enjoy that. It just wasn’t my favorite thing personally , it just made me cringe.

⭐︎ I won't lie and tell you I hated this book because I didn't. It was enjoyable, entertaining and yes, hot. I just have trouble getting past the whole Bully Aspect ? Imo, "tough love" is overrated af. Vicious was not redeemable in my eyes, he treated Emilia like shit but it was expected of the reader to be like “oh well, never mind bc he’s hawt” and I didn’t like it. I think there’s a line between being a sexy/mysterious/brooding guy and an abusive douche and I have an idea where Vicious stands.

Random thoughts

> Emilia’s character development : as much as I didn't care all that much for Vicious, I loved Emilia's evolution and her decision to put herself first.

> The HotHoles ?

> Rosie (Emilia’s sister) and specifically this : “If you hurt her, I will kill you.” She pointed her finger at me for emphasis. I was perfectly still, giving zero fucks about this five-foot-four gnome firing threats at me like she was Rambo.

> might be getting WAY TOO DEEP about this book but I will review books how I want and that’s that => this tweet by @ Jameela Jamil just seemed…. relevant ? (view spoiler)

Blog | Goodreads | Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vicious.

May 21, 2019 – Started Reading
May 21, 2019 – Shelved
May 22, 2019 – Shelved as: kindle
May 22, 2019 – Shelved as: read-in-2019
May 22, 2019 – Shelved as: romance
May 22, 2019 – Shelved as: trash
May 22, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

HeartlessFaeKing 🔮 People don't belong to each other, only to themselves, and this whole "You're my possesion, and i do what i want with you" crap isn't sexy but abusive

Noa ☾ HeartlessFaeKing 🔮 wrote: "People don't belong to each other, only to themselves, and this whole "You're my possesion, and i do what i want with you" crap isn't sexy but abusive"

No absolutely I agree w you, I wasn't condoning it at all :) And that's what bothered me in this book. Like yeah the dialogue was hot but when the male MC would spurt these type of sentences = ugh x1000000

HeartlessFaeKing 🔮 I was just supporting your point 😅 I'm glad we agree 😊

Noa ☾ HeartlessFaeKing 🔮 wrote: "I was just supporting your point 😅 I'm glad we agree 😊"

❤️(haha i wasn't sure, i'm cringing @ myself now lol xx)

HeartlessFaeKing 🔮 No need to fret, you're talking to a person who needs to ask clarify about sarcasm xD

Holly ✨ Love this review!

Noa ☾ Holly wrote: "Love this review!"