Cy Wyss's Reviews > Caught Up In It

Caught Up In It by David Burnsworth

bookshelves: mystery-thriller-suspense

There’s a rule of fiction that says something like this: if you want to make the reader hate a character, have them be cruel to an animal. I guess you could turn it around and say, if you want to make the reader love a character, show their deep bond with an animal. From dogs to goats, some of the best setups make use of this tactic and David Burnsworth’s hero, Blu Carraway, is no exception. He’s a man who lives on a small South Carolinian island with native horses that he lets run wild. His favorite, the one who saved his life once, is old and dying. You’ll have to read the book to find out if the poor beast dies.

I had no idea what a Carolina Marsh Tacky was until I read Caught Up in It. It’s the breed of the aforementioned horse. It is known for traits such as stamina, endurance, fortitude, sure-footedness, and smarts, yet it is also known for its gentleness and equanimity. I could be describing Blu himself here. The man is indefatigably patient with his new client, the pop star known as C (whose real name is the somewhat less whimsical Ariel).

Ariel is surprisingly down-to-earth, although has an annoying habit of prevarication, in the sense of holding back the truth. Still, as a female character in a male-dominated book written by a man, she is quite satisfying. Burnsworth makes her neither too implausible nor too ephemeral, a tough line to walk.

Blu’s daughter is also a nicely drawn character, but I wasn’t too happy with his girlfriend, who seemed rather on the nose. Still, that’s likely not because of a flaw in the author’s portrayal but rather a result of the genre – giving the lonesome hero a steady girlfriend is always risky. Probably I’m just jealous.

The book was the right mix of action and reflection and kept me guessing right up to the end. It’s the third in the series but there is enough backstory (very well intertwined if I do say so myself) that it wasn’t a problem that I hadn’t read the first two. I can see one of the big issues with finding the Blu Carraway series is that now my to-read list has grown by two, and I was already booked into next decade. Ah well. I’ll just have to learn how to read faster. It was an excellent book. Five stars!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caught Up In It.

May 17, 2019 – Started Reading