Aaron Marks's Reviews > There Is No Year

There Is No Year by Blake Butler

4819749
Feb 23, 2012

Read in February, 2012

this book reminds me of puzzles in the way girl w/ curious hair did, and reminds me of 'house of leaves' in tone, and reminds me of a kafka short story in its characters and plot. it reminded me of 'unpublished blog posts of a mexican express....' in that much of it was very well-constructed poetry.

it was difficult to get through this book because it's 400 pages of characters with no proper names and a loose story line.

most of the times the characters are completely alone or only tangentially interacting with others, despite the fact that they are a family.

it was not too enjoyable to read, and i did not feel good in the way that i do when reading some other books. however, i still would recommend it / read it again, someday, because of how well written it is.

it's hard for me to rate this book a 4 stars on goodreads because it didn't make me happy to read it, but it made me feel very scared / lonely in a way that a 'bad' book couldn't have. maybe the best thing to like int to is a really sad / scary horror film.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read There Is No Year.