Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > Shut Up You're Pretty

Shut Up You're Pretty by Téa Mutonji

bookshelves: read2019, reviewcopy, short-stories, ebooks

This is the first book from the VS. Books Imprint at Arsenal Pulp, headed up by Vivek Shraya, who created the imprint to "create more inter­generational dialogue and support for artists of colour. Each year, Vivek offers a mentorship opportunity for a young writer who is Indigenous, Black, or a person of colour, as well as a publishing contract with Arsenal Pulp Press under the VS. Books imprint." I didn't know that when I requested the review copy, just thought the title was funny.

All the stories come from a strong voice, are not very long, and end powerfully.

Some of my favorites:

The Boy from My Youth
"I love this so much about men. How they can hate a woman and still want them." - and then the ending paragraph is great.

The Common Room
"I was relieved when he died. It felt like this huge rock I didn't even know I was carrying had suddenly lifted, just like, fucking flew out of my chest, you know? Like, no more suffering, no more hiding. Everyone free?"

Men, Tricks, and Money
The sex worker/therapist from Guyana is a memorable character.

I received a copy of this collection from the publisher through Edelweiss. It came out April 1, 2019.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shut Up You're Pretty.

May 20, 2019 – Started Reading