Theresa's Reviews > The Last Thing You Surrender

The Last Thing You Surrender by Leonard Pitts Jr.

U 50x66

The author is an amazing writer. I've been an avid reader my whole life and there are endless stories being told, fiction and nonfiction, but there is a level of writing that is uncommon and Mr. Pitts is one of the uncommons. His level of writing takes tremendous research, it makes perfect since in relation to "real" life and he understands the complexities and dynamics of the human dilemma. His stories are full bodied and complete...just amazing. As a reader, I get so caught up in the characters and they draw me in emotionally. I feel their joy and their pain. When its good, I can put the book down and then think about the next time I will be able to resume reading; I ponder the characters because they become real to me and sometimes, when I know something bad is about to befall them, I put the book down because in that moment, I can't deal with what I know is coming...it's deep. I meant to give a quick synopsis about the book, but was drawn into writing about the author.

It is an excellent story. His books are fiction, but nonfiction as well because it is based on the truth. As an African American, it is sometimes extremely difficult to read about what my ancestors endured. It defies everything that is reasonable, logical and human. It is a hate beyond measure. I don't understand hatred towards other humans, especially for absolutely no reason at all. The most difficult part was what was done to Luther's parents. There are no words to describe the level of horror perpetrated on their parents and the perpetrators lost their "human" card. These horrific crimes are true in my History, so I felt it even more deeply. This is the second book that I've read by Mr. Pitts and plan to read them all. His stories linger with me long after I've read them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Thing You Surrender.

May 20, 2019 – Shelved