megs_bookrack's Reviews > A Violet Fire

A Violet Fire by Kelsey Quick

bookshelves: arcs-read

When Wavorly Sterling was a child, a vampire attack decimated the population of the town in which she lived.

In fact, she is the only known survivor, rescued, or captured, depending on your perspective, and brought to live within the Vampire Stratocracy of Cain.

Set in a dystopian world, where the blood supply is low, the Stratocracy has developed a vast and interesting system for raising 'human supply units'.

These supply units, otherwise known as people, are eventually chosen and bound to a master who they must serve, and feed, for the duration of their lives.

Wavorly is brought to a sort of private school where the girls are raised together and taught how to please their future masters.

The majority of these girls were born within the Stratocracy so have never tasted the freedom of the world outside as Wavorly has.

This sets her apart from the other girls and she struggles trying to understand their seemingly docile personalities in the face of what lies ahead of them.

In fact, when we first meet her, she is in the midst of executing an escape attempt. Although it may not go as planned, you have to give the girl props for her strength and determination.

No matter how hard she fights back against the powers that be however, Wavorly is ultimately selected to go live in the castle of Lord Anton Zein and act as one of his supply units.

They have a complicated history and you just know something's going to go down at that castle!

I really enjoyed this, you guys! I do not read a lot of vampire-related content, really my only experiences being Salem's Lot, NOS4A2 and Doctor Sleep, so I wasn't sure if I would enjoy this or not. Spoiler Alert: I did!

I loved the dystopian feel of this story. The world-building was excellent in my opinion and I cannot wait to learn more in Book 2.

In addition to loving Wavorly, I also really enjoyed quite a few of the side characters, who added depth, humor and challenging personalities to the story.

There were people you really wanted to get behind and people that were a joy to hate. Yes, that is a thing.

Although the plot got a little jumbled for me towards the end, I was still on board for all that was happening. There were revelations and betrayals, a lot of excitement.

I think this left off in a great spot for the continuation of the series and I definitely will be continuing. I have no idea how many books are planned but personally, I am hoping for at least three.

This was one of those books that when I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about it and wishing I was!

Overall, this was an impressive debut. I feel confident this author has a bright future ahead of her. If you are looking for an inventive and captivating, fast-paced read, you should definitely pick this one up!

Thank you so much to the author, Kelsey Quick, for providing me with a copy of this to read and review. I have since pre-ordered the paperback because I love the cover and also, have no self-control.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Violet Fire.

May 20, 2019 – Shelved
May 20, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
October 28, 2019 – Started Reading
October 28, 2019 –
page 12
3.47% "My pulse is racing!
Off to a good start. 😢🖤😉"
October 29, 2019 –
page 34
9.83% "Ugh, I am so scared for Wavorley. I can't read it before bed. Will have to pick it up tomorrow to find out her fate at the distribution 😩😢😱"
November 2, 2019 –
page 72
20.81% "Anton, you're giving me mixed messages, buddy...
Are you a Gemini?
Do vampires have astrological signs?
They must...

"
November 2, 2019 –
page 100
28.9% "Oh my $%/÷&>>%$=@@%&*9:;[(

😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱"
November 4, 2019 –
page 131
37.86% "I trust no one..."
November 7, 2019 –
November 14, 2019 –
page 190
November 14, 2019 –
page 214
61.85% "I would so smack this Anaya lady right upside her head! Bish, puhleaze 🤚"
November 17, 2019 –
😳😳😳😳
MUST GO TO BED"
November 24, 2019 – Shelved as: arcs-read
November 24, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)

message 1: by Kelsey (new) - added it

Kelsey Quick 😈😈😈

megs_bookrack Kelsey wrote: "😈😈😈" 🖤🖤🖤

Dita That gif...LMAO.

megs_bookrack Dita wrote: "That gif...LMAO."I know, right!? 😬😀😂

Dita : )

message 6: by Kelsey (new) - added it

Kelsey Quick My heart is melting. Reactions like this one is why I write. :) I hope you love the ending...!

megs_bookrack Kelsey wrote: "My heart is melting. Reactions like this one is why I write. :) I hope you love the ending...!" I am hoping to finish it tomorrow!!! So excited!! xo

message 8: by Rebecka (new) - added it

Rebecka I am adding so many books to my TBR thanks to you. It is both a blessing and a curse, but I am hoping to enjoy all the books anyway.

Felicia Yayyyy

megs_bookrack Rebecka wrote: "I am adding so many books to my TBR thanks to you. It is both a blessing and a curse, but I am hoping to enjoy all the books anyway."

Thank you so much for your kind comment, Rebecka! This made my day and I hope you enjoy all the books!! xo

megs_bookrack Felicia wrote: "Yayyyy" ...and now we await Book 2!!!

xo

message 12: by Kelsey (new) - added it

Kelsey Quick AND THE GIFS. And you finish it off with a Vampire Knight GIF?! #notokay <3 <3 <3

megs_bookrack Kelsey wrote: "AND THE GIFS. And you finish it off with a Vampire Knight GIF?! #notokay <3 <3 <3"

message 14: by Dita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dita Yay for you both!!

megs_bookrack Dita wrote: "Yay for you both!!"Have I told you lately that I love you!? 😁😂❤💋

message 16: by Dita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dita megs_bookrack wrote: "Dita wrote: "Yay for you both!!"Have I told you lately that I love you!? 😁😂❤💋"

No, but I knew! Lolz.

megs_bookrack Dita wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "Dita wrote: "Yay for you both!!"Have I told you lately that I love you!? 😁😂❤💋"

No, but I knew! Lolz."
😯🤔😁😂🥰

message 18: by Kelsey (new) - added it

Kelsey Quick EEP! YOU'RE THE BEST <3

message 19: by megs_bookrack (last edited Dec 03, 2019 05:19AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

megs_bookrack Kelsey wrote: "EEP! YOU'RE THE BEST <3"

message 20: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Supply units.....that's a good way to put it. 😊

megs_bookrack Barbara wrote: "Supply units.....that's a good way to put it. 😊"yessssss! I found that so interesting!

message 22: by Kelsey (new) - added it

Kelsey Quick So cool and so excited you're a part of it. :)

message 23: by Kelsey (new) - added it

Kelsey Quick you are seriously the gif queen.

megs_bookrack Kelsey wrote: "So cool and so excited you're a part of it. :)" My pleasure 🖤

megs_bookrack Kelsey wrote: "you are seriously the gif queen."

Hahaha- it's a 'gif't 😁😂😉