Dawn's Reviews > The Last Thing You Surrender

The Last Thing You Surrender by Leonard Pitts Jr.

Wow, this book really grabbed me, yanked me in, and never let me go for a minute. There are so many exceptional points I could make. One. How the reader feels for and hopes for success and survival of several of the characters regardless of what they are facing - whether they're women finding work during World War II, or they're soldiers - black or white - serving at Pearl Harbor or Guadalcanal or stuck in a cruel prisoner of war camp. Two. Yes, there is discussion regarding what the last thing you might surrender (in any kind of war: between countries; between races; sometimes even between family and friends) might be, and as you're reading and getting to know these characters and what they're going through, you learn something even more meaningful than what you might want tot hold on to, what you might give up as the very last thing you can give up. You learn what it is that might help bridge the gap, might help different people find common ground and even build bonds (I am NOT going to spoil the fun and enjoyment of discovering these ideas for yourself). I enjoyed thinking on that awhile.

One of the big truths in this book is that there is too much hate in the world. There are so many examples of that hate in what happens in the book but the third exceptional thing I carried away with me when I was finished with the book was that somehow, some way, what was left was hope, survival, perseverance, a continuing on in a better way, often with someone's help and caring. That something positive and hopeful could come from some of these horrible experiences many of these characters had is quite an accomplishment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Thing You Surrender.

May 20, 2019 – Started Reading