Annette's Reviews > One Good Deed

One Good Deed by David Baldacci

David Baldacci usually writes contemporary thrillers but this new book is set in post World War 2 America.
As is the case in all his books there is a lead protagonist , a bit of a loner/ outsider, who investigates a mystery, in this case it is ex-con Aloyisius Archer who turns up in Poca City on his release from gaol.
He is directed to meet with his parole officer, Ernestine Crabtree, but gets caught up with a feud between two local businessmen when he pops into the local bar and Hank Pittleman pays him to collect a debt from his rival. Being short of money, Archer agrees to do this and this decision leads him into all sorts of trouble.
Archer is attracted to both Jackie, Pittleman’s mistress and also Ernestine Crabtree and the reader spends the book wondering if he will end up with either of them and if Jackie, in particular, is just using him for her own purposes.
However when a murder occurs and Archer is implicated he decides to help the lead Detective Shaw to investigate in order to clear his name.
There is a lot of description and period detail in this book. The author seems to want to describe exactly what all the characters are wearing, presumably so that the reader can picture the said characters. Sometimes there is slightly too much of this and, in my opinion, it really does slows down the plot. “ He wore a threadbare single breasted brown victory suit with peak lapels.”
I particularly liked Archer who seemed to have made a couple of wrong decisions and ended up in jail for a crime he did not commit. There was a lot about his time in the army and this helps him bond with Detective Shaw who is also ex military.
This is slightly different from Baldaccci’s previous novels and once I had got used to the historical setting and slower pace, I found it an interesting read which picked up as the novel progressed.
I was left wondering at the end whether Aloyisius Archer was going to be featuring in another book as it had the feeling of a possible first in a series rather than a stand alone.
Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for my arc in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Good Deed.

Finished Reading