Ami's Reviews > A Hole in God's Pocket

A Hole in God's Pocket by K.Z. Snow

Feb 23, 2012

bookshelves: mm-contemporary, mm-romance-or-erotica, 5-stars_rating

Any M/M story that has a drop of religious issue in it always makes me slightly uncomfortable. Not that because we cannot question our religious teach. It's because I think we should respect each other's faith and beliefs. Both sides can be too preachy in defending their stance, and I don't want to read a love story that comes into preachy territory. So, the words "Amish" and "ex-monk" sort of making me approach this story with caution. Then again, it's from K.Z. Snow, one of my favorite authors since I discovered her story back in 2010, and I couldn't stay away.

This is a very thoughtful and smart love story that tackles the issue of religious beliefs. The premise itself is unique.

Faron Weaver is a 22-year-old Amish young men who is premiscous and all out when he realizes he is gay (after a first blowjob he got when he was 17). Faron left his community -- and he takes the chance to be himself, to get all the gay sex experience, even taking sugar daddy so he can keep a roof over his head while still sending money to his family.

Greg Aubuchon, is a 25-year old ex monk, who left the monestary and the celibacy life because he realizes he cannot stop his nature, of liking other men. Greg doesn't want to hide himself -- however, he also has no clues or experiences in how to get a date or even makes a move on a guy. In other words, Greg is a virgin though he knows he is gay.

The two guys have their issues, trying to figure out what they want without destroying the new founded friendship between them. While he's not new to the scene of gay sex, Faron is troubled because he feels hollow inside. He doesn't know how it feels to fall in love and he seems to keep getting wrong men. He also struggles because he cannot tell his family of who he is, he doesn't want to get shunned. His family means a lot for him.

On the other hand, Greg is too insecure of making a move on Faron, for worrying about his own lack of experience. It's enough balance of angst -- and I love reading how these two men talk and connect. The part where they finally confront each other's feeling actually squeezes my heart tight (in a way that I know K.Z. Snow could).

As usual, K.Z. Snow's writing is beautifully crafted and poetic, without being too much. The way she strings up her words is amazing. At the same time, this story provides humorous words, that doesn't fail to make me chuckling in delight. Some examples:

"If you can guarantee you’ll be responsible and you aren’t a total slob, I wouldn’t give a crap if you slept with a blow-up doll that looked like Muammar Gaddafi and sang lullabies to it every night.

...attending a gay Mad Hatter’s tea party on Craigslist,

and MY FAVORITE ...

The Church really needs to rethink its policy on celibacy, because I’m pretty sure I felt the fist of God around my balls.

Shame on me. That’s wickedly profane.

No it isn’t. He created my balls, so why can’t He touch them?

Still…

Oh okay, so maybe I just felt His breath on my cock.

That’s almost as bad.

I actually laughed out loud on that part :p

I think K.Z. Snow has written this with quite respect for the religious issue. Yes, there's that preachy part, I guess you cannot help it when you write from a different side of your beliefs. But at the same time, I don't feel like she frontally attacks the issue as well. What is the heart of this story is love and that when you find that right person that you fall in love with, everything comes together in a perfect fit. That love fills that hollow in your heart, just like what both Faron and Greg feel after they find one another.

So I would like to close this long and tend to rambling opinion, with one of the most beautiful passages K.Z. Snow provides to close the story ...

“God isn’t small, honey. God has a lot of freakin’ pockets. And we just found the one we belong in.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Hole in God's Pocket.

message 1: by Val (new)

Val Kovalin Great review, Ami! I love the parts you quoted.

Hank L. What if it has the word "Islam"?

message 3: by Ami (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ami Hank wrote: "What if it has the word "Islam"?"

That too. Not just Christians or Amish but also Buddhist, Jewish, or Hinduist, and yes, Islam too. I'm a Muslim myself. It's basically all things related to religious issue. I always approach them with caution when it comes to M/M romance.

message 4: by ElaineY (new) - added it

ElaineY Same here, Ami. These days, I check Jerry's reviews and comments to help me decide as I figure he'd understand my sentiments best.