Kath's Reviews > The Mausoleum

The Mausoleum by David  Mark

This is another of those books which flit about in time a bit. Sometimes this confuses me but, here, the author does a good, if not perfect, job keeping me on track. We start in 2010 where two old women are sat by the bedside of a dying man trying to get his deathbed confession. We then go back in time to the 60s and witness the first meeting of these women; Felicity (Flick) and Cordelia (Cordie), at a graveyard of all places. Then there's a heavy deluge and, as they are running for cover, lightning strikes a mausoleum and, as they turn to look, the body of a man is exposed. A body that appears to be too recent for the setting. They return to Flick's home and are visited by her neighbour, Fairfax,to whom they tell their tale of the body. He leaves them to find out more but is sadly killed in a car accident. And so begins a tale of secrets, lies and deception. Flick and Cordie won't let the body go and also start to believe that there could be more to Fairfax's death than just the accident portrayed. But there is someone very keen to keep the secrets they have held on to for so long. Secrets that involve the village and the POW camp that was sited there in the war. Secrets that must remain hidden at all costs.
I believe from my research that this is a diversion from the author's usual crime fiction. Having never read any of his other books (something I hope to rectify given time) I can't comment on that but, what I can say is that I did enjoy reading this book overall. It held my attention mostly throughout and his characterisation, plotting and delivery was excellent. What didn't quite work for me however was the overall flow of the book. At times simple, others a bit convoluted and a tad confusing as it jumped in time. I am not quite sure that the author got some of the timings of imparting key information quite right for me. It also felt a little slow at times and dragged a bit along the way. And then when we got to the final furlong, I felt that it raced a bit too much and ran away with itself a bit.
All in all, a solid read that did get there in the end for me. It has piqued my interest in the author's crime book so I shall be adding them to my every growing tbr. My thanks go to the Publisher and Netgalley for the chance to read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mausoleum.

Started Reading