Claire Banschbach's Reviews > Shard & Shield

Shard & Shield by Laura VanArendonk Baugh

bookshelves: fantasy, to-re-read

So so good!! It's everything I love in a book! Full review to come closer to publication, and let's be honest, after I probably read it at least two more times. :D

~~
Actual review.

So yes, I have read this several times. At least parts of it. Lets be completely honest. I re-read the Shianan parts because he has the most intriguing ARC and I have a major soft spot for characters like him.

The story kind of starts off dropping you in the middle of everything. While the worldbuiling was a touch confusing as first, it was easy to sort through within the next few chapters. The Shard is brought back to the capitol, and then everything kind of goes wrong from there.

Tam was interesting, but not my favorite character. He did have a really intriguing ARC and I did enjoy the Ryuven world and all the political drama that occurred there. Ariana is a super fun character. Loved her tenacity and drive, and majorly ship her and Shianan.
Luca is <3. Shianan is <3 <3 and their relationship is just amazing and I need more of it and I hated the ending because Shianan that was stupid and I need book 2 now please!

I can legit talk about Shianan forever, with his poor decision making skills but really making the best of really bad options. And he just wants a friend, is that too much to ask?! *aggressively hugs him*

But in all seriousness, this has all of the things I love in a book. Intriguing worlds, 3D characters, a bit of political drama, some stabbing, high stakes, action, barely any romance ;) and a fun magic system.

Highly recommended! Can't wait for book 2!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shard & Shield.

May 16, 2019 – Started Reading
May 17, 2019 – Finished Reading
May 19, 2019 – Shelved
May 19, 2019 – Shelved as: fantasy
May 19, 2019 – Shelved as: to-re-read

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

R.J. Rodda Sounds like I loved the same bits as you!!

Claire Banschbach Yes!! It was so good! I cannot wait for book 2!