Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews's Reviews > Southern Sass and Killer Cravings

Southern Sass and Killer Cravings by Kate   Young

This is a peach of a new series with good food and ghostly help.

I always enjoy a new series because you never know what the author will come up with to entice a reader or create an intriguing new series.  I think the author is on to something and has created a winning combination between a ghostly mother trying to make amends, a diner on a small island with delicious food, and a protagonist that has some baggage and yet is working towards freeing herself and learning to live life again.

Marygene has had a tough life - from learning who her father really was at a younger age to ending up in an abusive relationship.  Now she is back home with her sister and brother and finds herself smack dab in the middle of a murder investigation.  As true to form with cozies, she finds not one but multiple dead bodies.  Nothing like being in the wrong place at the wrong time.  However, this just spurs her on to investigate on her own with the assistance of her friend Betsy and even goes as far as creating a timeline in her spare bedroom to help decipher the information she uncovers in hopes it will point her towards the murderer.

I didn't suspect the killer until near the end because something just didn't seem right with this character.  There were a few minor clues peppered throughout the book but nothing that really pointed this character's direction.

It wouldn't be a cozy without a love interest....or two!  I can't wait to see how this plays out in future books.  Will it be Alex her childhood sweetheart or Calhoun the older reporter from out of town?

Lastly, I appreciated the awareness the author brought to the subject of domestic abuse.  It happens more often than we may know and I felt like it was handled well and showed Marygene in various stages of acceptance of what happened to her in the past.  I hope she continues to address this issue in future books.

Overall we give this 4 paws up!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Southern Sass and Killer Cravings.

May 19, 2019 – Started Reading