Kristen's Reviews > Off Leash

Off Leash by Daniel  Potter

bookshelves: audiobooks

Full review is here, on my blog!~

This was a fun book, with a very interesting premise.

Thomas Khatt is a regular guy in a regular town when suddenly his secretly-magical neighbor dies, and he wakes up the next day as a cougar. He’s in a magical world and is a familiar, an animal companion to a magus. Usually they are auctioned off and bonded to some apprentice or other, but Thomas has other ideas, because eff all that noise. He’s not bonding to anyone forever, but to stay freelance, he’ll have to help the local magical detectives solve the murder of his neighbor the Archmagus.

Yep. Interesting premise, as I said.

This book made me chuckle quite a few times, and any book that does that is generally looking to be a pretty good book. It was well written, well paced and the mystery stayed a mystery throughout most of the book. I was more interested in seeing Thomas navigate this new and mysterious world with his new and sometimes-awkward feline body than I was interested in the whodunnit, but that didn’t make this book any less interesting.

Thomas was a character that I could easily cheer for, as his whole world is suddenly thrown into chaos, and everything is magical, there are pyromaniac squirrels and fanatic werewolves, among other things. Some of the background characters were often hilarious, but never stole the show, so to speak.

The narrator, Jonathan Waters, did a pretty great job in my opinion. He made each character unique and made the story come to life. Some of the accents seemed a little forced, but this book has a lot of accents peppered through it, and so for someone to do more than one capably is actually quite amazing to me just for starters.

So, all told, this was a quick, fun listen that served to make a nice Sunday afternoon of listening and giggling while I worked on a cross stitch.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Off Leash.

May 19, 2019 – Started Reading
May 19, 2019 – Shelved
May 19, 2019 – Shelved as: audiobooks
May 19, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Laura Hughes I love this series! It's so much fun. :)