Bojana's Reviews > The First Girl Child

The First Girl Child by Amy Harmon

bookshelves: favorites

Wow. What a great journey this was!

This story, set on imaginary island of Saylok and inhabited by six Viking clans, is obviously inspired by Norse mythology and since I am a huge fan of it (Norse mythology), this book was just perfect. I will also be so bold to say that every person who loves Norse mythology and fantasy genre will enjoy this book. And (if I just may add) plot starts with a curse of failed woman, and there is just one way it can be broken. What more should I say!?
"We are abused. We are used. We are bartered and abandoned. But rarely are we loved. So be it. From this day forward, there will be no daughters in Saylok for any of you to love."

I saw a lot reviews saying how pace of the writing and plot is slow. I must say that I love it this way. Maybe some parts of story look redundant, but I think they are there with the purpose - they help in character development, and characters are one of best things about this book! There is no perfect heroes in this book, and that makes it even better. All characters are not white or black but in shades of gray, just as people really are. They are not straightforward, they must deal with what’s in front of them and stay true to who they are, whether or not others approve it. And that's why story surprises me all the time - just when I think I know everything that is going to happen, author reassure me with some new sort of plot twist. It reminds me a bit of Game of Thrones characters, since almost everybody belongs to some clan (even Keepers have sort of their) and participate, or are drawn against their will, in all sort of schemes and intrigue and fight for power.

"It is your weakness. But weakness can make a man wise. You will listen more. You will think before you speak. You will never believe yourself all-powerful and all-knowing. You will never say what you do not mean."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Girl Child.

April 24, 2019 – Started Reading
May 13, 2019 –
May 16, 2019 –
51.0% ""This book is (so far) so good. Story is captivating and I'm sorry I have so many obligations right now, so I can't read as much as I would like.""
May 19, 2019 – Shelved