allieereads's Reviews > Aurora Rising

Aurora Rising by Jay Kristoff

19936626
3.5 stars.

upon review and consideration - it wasn't actually the greatest. I liked it but it was not memorable at all. the characters and their relationships were not anything amazing - in the end, it was the story that I stayed to read. I think the action of this book gives the pretence as though things are actually happening, but in the end, everything kind of becomes redundant and you're sitting there wondering why you just read 200 pages of the squad risking their lives for something that didn't actually mean anything. You get 'faked' into thinking that the narrative is being pushed forward, when it isn't. but i'll keep my original review below as it outlines my issues with it. full review will be coming on my blog.

_____________________________________________________________

to be honest, it was a full fucking 5 stars until the last like 100 to 50 pages. The whole Octavias (i definitely spelled that wrong) settlement situation became such a stupid and redundant-ish scene? I felt that the lead-up, the 'climax' of the whole story, was a slight disappointment as the entire book was moving fast, with action-packed scenes and on-the-edge-of-your-seat drama which was FUCKING EPIC but then the actual ending was 'meh'. It honestly felt like it needed at least a few extra chapters - it doesn't even feel like a cliffhanger, it was more 'unfinished' than anything.

SPOILER ALERT/CONTROVERSIAL OPINION:

Cat was also my most least favourite character of the entire squad, it wasn't that I didn't like her it was more that I didn't care enough of her. I felt that her entire character was defined by her angst and love of Tyler which became annoying. To the point that she was being ridiculously jealous of Auri - EVEN THOUGH AURI WAS WITH KAL MY FAIRYBOY PRINCE OF MY HEART - she was kind of a two dimensional character and I didn't connect with her. So when she died, I didn't really have much of an impact - and I usually do ESPECIALLY IN JAY AND AMIE BOOKS LIKE ALL OF THE ILLUMINAE FILES BOOKS KILLED ME.

This was mostly my justification for it not being a full 5 stars so I don't go into how much i bloody loved the story, the writing, the space, the action - KAL AND AURI AND FINIAN AND ZILA AND SCAR AND EVEN ALPHA TY ARE MY DUDES, MY RIDE OR DIE OKAY?!

In the words of Jay Kristoff (or what I imagine him to say in my head): "Just fucking read it, droogs."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aurora Rising.

May 19, 2019 – Shelved
May 19, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
June 10, 2019 – Started Reading
June 10, 2019 –
page 16
3.4% "i have so many other books to read and review but i finally got it in the mail and I HAVE TO READ IT"
June 14, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019