Mere's Reviews > The Name of All Things

The Name of All Things by Jenn Lyons

bookshelves: february-books, reviewed

I remember loving the first book, but it had been some time since I'd read it, and I was worried going into this one that I would be lost. Thankfully, some kind soul did a quick rundown in the beginning of the book about what happened in The Ruin of Kings. That helped, although a character sheet showing how everyone is related would be nice too...

The Writing
Can we talk about Lyons's writing for a moment? Because I want to say that I enjoyed it very much. This writing was so well done, and it draws you in. Even though you have multiple point of views, this one was done well. Not only were they distinctly listed (or we were told) when the character's changed, the characters themselves were highly distinctive. They were all so unique and different that I had no trouble at all keeping them apart, even if they didn't have the dividers.

This book is a well written fantasy. It doesn't info dump, and there are descriptions, but it is primarily action based.

The Pacing
The pacing was great! It worked well for me in conjuction with the plot, the characters and the writing. It didn't feel off or awkward in the least. Something was always pushing the story forward. And therefore the pacing felt even and nuanced. There is a lot to be said for good pacing!

The Plot
The plot in this was not focused in the future. I would say 90% of it lay in the past, and if I had read this right after The Ruin of Kings, I might have been put off. Because I didn't, I think I enjoyed it a lot more. Janel and Qown are great characters. Of course, they tie in with Kihrin in some way, shape or form. This plot runs parallel to the first book and Kihrin's story. So it is highly interesting.

A lot happens, though, and you don't know whose side to be on. I also love the little footnotes at the bottom.

The Characters
I loved Kihrin from the moment I met him. And then of course we met Janel and I loved her too. There were some amazing characters (and backstabbing!) all around. There was a lot of morally grey areas, and well, it was awesome. I am totally digging all the romances and relationships in this book. They kept making me smile and grin and just overall, I was so pleased with the characters and their arcs.

There is much to love about them. Know this, there is great diversity rep in this book, but I don't want to spoil what it is! I had so much fun learning about it!

The Worldbuilding
And the diversity rep ties in with how well this world is built. We get the gamut of different beliefs and ideas, and the contrast is amazing. Lyons proves that fantasy worlds do not have to mimic ours; they can be created in any way!

The structure of this world is all in all, intriguing and well done.

Overall
Overall, I really enjoyed this book and I am so excited for the next one when it comes out. I am ready to see our group all together and working to defeat the evil Relos Var. I am thrilled with this series!

Blog | Bookstagram | Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of All Things.

May 18, 2019 – Shelved
May 18, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
September 24, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read-unpublished
November 4, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
February 8, 2020 – Shelved as: holds
February 25, 2020 – Started Reading
February 25, 2020 –
page 128
21.73% "I forgot how much I love the writing in this book...and the new characters are *chef's kiss* so lovely. LOVE THEM."
February 25, 2020 – Finished Reading