May's Reviews > Don't Label Me: An Incredible Conversation for Divided Times

Don't Label Me by Irshad Manji

F 50x66

bookshelves: contemporary, humor, education

The premise for this book is interesting, to say the least. The author has a conversation with her dog, Lily, as a way to promote discussion about diversity of thought, tribes, and discord. As hokey as this sounds, it's a useful literary device because it allows the author to both acknowledge and deflect knee jerk criticism of her arguments.
The thesis of this book is that in order to bridge the current political divide that affects this country, we need to talk to each other sincerely and with an open mind. Humans like to put labels on people (privileged, racist, sexist, etc.). The author's point is that we fail to understand each other as human beings if we do that (the corollary being that you are far more willing to draw quick and unfortunate conclusions about people if you see them as labels and not people). Her goal is to encourage people to have the moral courage to seek to understand the other side's viewpoint, not for purposes of conversion but for greater understanding. In other words, acknowledging that, as I like to say, "Reasonable minds can disagree."
This is a thought-provoking and thoughtful book. If you like dogs, it's an especially entertaining read as well. Well worth the time to read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Label Me.

Started Reading