Robert Owens's Reviews > Selection Day

Selection Day by Aravind Adiga

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction, book-club, kindle, overdrive, india, cricket

This book is the May book club selection at the Millville library.

I am not certain I understood the book. It's not surprising as I am quite American in my tastes. I found the descriptions of India uninteresting and the literary cadence of the story off-putting.

I like cricket. Having seen a few Cup Matches in Bermuda, cricket is very much the party. I imagine it is quite the athletic pursiot for the cricketers, too. :)

The father was a boor. But somehow, I ended up feeling pity for him. The boys were brutish. In ways, I think each deserved what he got.

The entire struggle of Manju's sexuality was not interesting to me in the least. I did not relate to it nor was I moved by it. And it is because of that, I suppose, I missed what is supposed to be great about this story.

Oh, I do read Indian novels sometimes. But you know, Ms. Rupinder, what we Indians want in literature, at least the kind written in English, is not literature at all, but flattery. We want to see ourselves depicted as soulful, sensitive, profound, valorous, wounded, tolerant, and funny beings.

The above was from the book. I can't keep but thinking that this is what the book strived to achieve. If indeed that were it, for me it failed.

This book reminded me of some "art" movies; something that presents itself as pithy and profound, but is just a poorly told story with literary devices to charm the critics.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Selection Day.

May 17, 2019 – Started Reading