Kari Davis's Reviews > The Red Zone

The Red Zone by Amie Knight

bookshelves: 4-5-stars, arc-netgalley, friends-to-lovers, funny, new-author, sad, standalone, sweet

The Red Zone is my first book by Amie Knight. Man this was a slow burn read that grabbed me and didn't let go. I couldn't put it down and the characters especially one hasn't left me mind. I adored it! This was one read that is gonna grab your heart and pull at those strings. Its a beautifully written second chance romance with some humor thrown in. But you might want to have some tissues nearby because there was a scene that about did me in.

Lukas and Scarlett met back in high school. He was the most popular guy in the school, not too mention quarterback of the football team. He was the guy everyone loved and wanted. So he has a big ego, right? Nope he is was actually sweet and an all around good guy.
Scarlett/Red was a quiet and shy freshman who ends up being Lukas/Mister Quarterback french tutor. She has secretly had a crush on him, and is a bit awkward around him right at first. Right before Lukas graduates they have a moment that leaves Scarlett with a broken heart.

Fast Forward ten years Lukas is at the height of his career, when tragedy strikes. Lukas decides to take a spot on a team that "needs some work" because he needs to step up and take on the care of his special needs sister Ella. He knows its going to be hard worker, but he loves her and she is his whole world. Football means nothing to him anymore, something that he lived for is now swallowed up by his grief. Until he sees a blast from his past. The girl who he has fond memories of and hasn't forgotten about, Red.

Scarlett knows that she needs to stay away from Lukas, but he's been the star of her dreams and fantasies for years. Being Ella's teacher doesn't help or hurt the situation, but it gives her an excuse to use against him. That is until it no longer works. What Lukas wants he gets and he wants Scarlett. Will Scarlett give in?

These two were so sweet together. The banter was fun and a few scenes were laugh out loud hilarious. I adored Ella. She was what really won me over with this story. I felt that Amie did a pretty good job portraying how some times a special needs child is. She was the heart of the story, not that I didn't like their moments because I did. But Ella just did me in. Her interactions with Lukas and Ella were sweet, and they felt real. Lukas and his love for Ella, heart melting. Yep you will turn into a pile of goo.

The secondary characters. Uh yeah I hope we get a book about them. Ollie, Hazel, Mason. Amie are you on that??

This was a delightful read that is about so much. Life is full of obstacles and this book had some truthful moments. Grief is not easy, forgiveness is not easy, love is not easy, but maybe dealing with these with some help isn't so hard. This book was beautifully done. The reality that life can change in a blink of an eye is 100% relatable, and felt very real. I adored this book. I highly recommend it!

ARC received for honest review
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Zone.

May 18, 2019 – Shelved