yorkshirebooknerd's Reviews > Sea Witch Rising

Sea Witch Rising by Sarah Henning

bookshelves: arcs-review-copies, books-read-in-2019

** spoiler alert ** *Contains spoilers for book one*

Another fantastic story that had me invested from beginning to end.

Sea Witch Rising picks up where the Sea Witch left off. In the sea witch’s cave, Alia decides to trade her voice for legs so she can go ashore and have the prince fall in love with her. After making a deal of her own with Evie (the sea witch), Alia’s twin sister Runa, sets out to bring her sister back to the sea.

The story is told from both Runa’s and Evie’s POV which allows us to get an insight into both of their motives and really understand the characters. As with book one, I love that the narrative is from the villain’s point of view, as to really enjoy a villain’s story I need to understand and sympathise with them, which I did with Evie.

I absolutely fell in love with her in book one and was eager to see how she was faring in book two. Again she is written as a strong, fierce female who will not bend to the wishes of others but who also has a big heart and ultimately wants to do the right thing.

The characters are a strong part of this story and as well as Evie I loved Runa. She was so determined to save her sister and would literally do anything for her. Runa’s love for Alia shone through every page and although I’m all for a cute romance, the strong sisterly love in this book was a refreshing change and added a different dynamic (there is still some cute romance though 😉).

Sarah’s writing is lyrical and magical, which I adore, as it paints a wonderful world that allows me to imagine every scene. The story was well structured and continued to grow until the final dramatic ending with a number of unexpected complications.

Another great story that fans of retellings will love 💕

4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher (Harper Collins UK - Children’s) for providing a copy of the book for review. All opinions are my own and provided willingly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sea Witch Rising.

May 18, 2019 – Shelved
August 7, 2019 –
August 8, 2019 – Shelved as: books-read-in-2019
August 8, 2019 – Shelved as: arcs-review-copies
August 8, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Kris (new)

Kris Ohhh, idk if I am gonna read the sequel so do you mind telling me if (view spoiler)

yorkshirebooknerd No problem at all. No she doesn’t

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris Ooooh. Okay, thanks a bunch. :)