Evie Braithwaite's Reviews > Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, library

With the TV adaptation of Pratchett and Gaiman’s Good Omens premiering at the end of the month, I thought it was time to finally read this collaboration.

So, Crowley and Aziraphale were hilarious; their humorous conversations about what composers and musicians made it into Heaven and Hell, how Aziraphale is devoid of all pop culture references and the fact that they have only gone and lost the Antichrist. If Good Omens solely focused on these two quirky characters, there’s no doubt that my rating would be higher.

However, due to the multiple plot lines and the huge cast of characters, I lost the thread of the narrative. The authors introduced new characters every few pages or so who were seemingly irrelevant to the plot. Some characters were amusing; the four horsemen of the apocalypse, for example, were a lot of fun. I didn’t care for most of them though and I ended up forcing myself to reach the end. The lack of structure made it too confusing to follow.

There’s no doubt that this fantasy novel is nothing like I’ve ever read before. The premise is amazing, and I appreciate the quirky commentary on religion and the forces of good and evil. While it didn’t blow me away, I think I’ll enjoy the mini-series. I mean, David Tenant and Michael Sheen’s portrayal of the quirky characters are a duo too good to miss.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Omens.

May 18, 2019 – Started Reading
May 18, 2019 – Shelved
May 19, 2019 –
page 158
May 21, 2019 – Finished Reading
May 22, 2019 – Shelved as: fantasy
May 22, 2019 – Shelved as: fiction
May 22, 2019 – Shelved as: library

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Rachael Marie I’m hosting a readalong for this right now! I definitely see your point. We have a live show on Sunday and challenges with prizes over on Twitter if you’d like to join in!

Evie Braithwaite Rachael Marie wrote: "I’m hosting a readalong for this right now! I definitely see your point. We have a live show on Sunday and challenges with prizes over on Twitter if you’d like to join in!"

It was a lot of fun but the second half was so hard to follow - haha don't let that stop you from enjoying it though! Yeah that sounds great! x