Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)'s Reviews > Serial Killers: The Method and Madness of Monsters

Serial Killers by Peter Vronsky

liked it
bookshelves: nonfiction, true-crime

3.5/5

This is, honestly, a fantastic book about serial killers. It combines all the information we know about them -- including conversations about psychopathy, psychosis, and the different types of serial killers with classifications and examples. And, since this book was published in 2004, it's very recent. I mean, the information didn't exactly differ much from what I already knew about them and what I learned in my psychopathy class. There has been a ton of work on brain imaging and those biological determinants since 2004 that Vronsky didn't cover in this. But, still a fantastic book.

However, Vronsky is obviously biased. When I read this, I got the feeling that he was homophobic and transphobic. In the book, he refers to transwomen as "transsexuals, or guys who dress like women and have penises". That's not a direct quote, but that's the gist of the comment. He also believes that gay men are more suited for being serial killers than straight men, basically commenting on the more stereotypical things that you hear about from the "gay lifestyle".

With those comments, I thought the book was published way later than it actually was. Like, the 1980s or something like that. But, obviously, the book was published in 2004. That really took away from my enjoyment of the information because I never knew what offensive thing he would say next.

Still, a very good book if you can put aside things like that. It was difficult for me since I'm in the LGBT+ community and those are very harmful stereotypes that you hear.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Serial Killers.

May 18, 2019 – Started Reading
May 18, 2019 – Shelved
May 18, 2019 – Shelved as: nonfiction
May 18, 2019 – Shelved as: true-crime
May 18, 2019 –
page 172
41.75% "This is a very interesting book, but it hasn't aged well with how it discusses LGBTQ+ people."
May 18, 2019 –
page 235
57.04% "In certain aspects, a homosexual can be more prepared to lead the life of a serial killer.

Okay, I get it, Vronsky. You're a homophobe. And a transphobe based on an earlier comment."
May 18, 2019 – Finished Reading