Estara's Reviews > Kimi ni Todoke: From Me to You, Vol. 12

Kimi ni Todoke by Karuho Shiina

Feb 23, 2012

bookshelves: manga, read-in-2012
Read on February 11, 2012 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** It's summer break after the first year of high school - we get a flashback to the final reaction of Sawako being hugged by Kazehaya (view spoiler).

It's all new enough that they manage to fiddle their way slowly along into getting more comfortable with each other - actually daring to hold hands when they walk: I finally have realised that Shota may be a friendly guy, but he is not only intensely private in his stronger feelings - he is just as shy and nervous as Sawako about his very first love. The few pages about their attempt at holding hands, hardly saying anything, are probably the most romantic parts of the story yet - Karuho Shiina has really become a master of her chosen sphere.

And then - typical for our heroine, I thought - Sawako's mum sees them holding hands and they have to address her father getting to know the boyfriend (and the whole neighbourhood, too, at that). Having somehow scaled that cliff, there's the tense scene when Shota visits Sawako's room for the first time ^^.

I really liked the fact that her parents realize at the dinner table (where Shota is invited) how much more Sawako smiles now that she is with Kazehaya - but when he wants to hold her hand when he says goodbye outside in the evening gloom, he sees she's holding it closed to her chest and doesn't grasp for it... He's just as insecure as she is.

I think the chapter picture for chapter 50 must have been built on a scene from the real life tv version of KnT - because Sawako and Kazehaya are drawn realistically for once.

And the last chapter has a lovely extended flashback about how Chizuru and Ayane became best friends - it was actually also at the start of high school - and why this was important to both of them. Just nice - Bechdel test successfully passed and all!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kimi ni Todoke.