J.H. Moncrieff's Reviews > The Killer Across the Table: Unlocking the Secrets of Serial Killers and Predators with the FBI's Original Mindhunter

The Killer Across the Table by John Edward Douglas

liked it
Read 2 times. Last read May 9, 2019 to May 17, 2019.

John Douglas is one of my all-time favourite writers. His books are about the only ones where I will purchase each new release, sight unseen, before they hit the shelves. I can read each Douglas book over and over again, and always discover something new.

That said, there was something missing in this long-anticipated release. I can't put my finger on it, other than to say it's missing the same "heart" as the other books. It wasn't as gripping, perhaps because Douglas isn't relating stories about working cases in real-time, as he does in his other books. This one details interviews that took place long after the fact.

As for the interviews, they were still interesting, but nothing compared to the earlier ones with Kemper, Berkowitz, Manson, etc. The jaded part of me thinks this was written specifically to appeal to fans of the Netflix Mindhunter series.

While it's still a very readable book, and I'm always thrilled to have another Douglas release, it's missing some of the magic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Killer Across the Table.

March 2, 2019 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
March 2, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
May 9, 2019 – Started Reading (Hardcover Edition)
May 9, 2019 – Started Reading
May 17, 2019 – Shelved
May 17, 2019 – Finished Reading
May 17, 2019 – Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)
May 23, 2019 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Jill Crosby My thoughts as well