Dem's Reviews > The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek

The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
2752994
's review

really liked it
bookshelves: historical-fiction

A compelling and story about adaptability, and courage, told With compassion and delicacy Kim Michele Richardson presents a little known chapter of American history that is inspired by the true blue skinned people of Kentucky and the brave and dedicated Kentucky Pack Horse Library service of the 1930s.

Historical Fiction Novels uses emotion to make facts matter and I find these types of novels so important in giving us a glimpse into events and happenings of the past that we might never read about if it was not for historical fiction and any book that educates its readers is a book of Value in my opinion.

The hardscrabble folks of Troublesome Creek have to scrap for everything―everything except books, that is. Thanks to Roosevelt's Kentucky Pack Horse Library Project, Troublesome's got its very own traveling librarian, Cussy Mary Carter. Cussy's not only a book woman, however, she's also the last of her kind, her skin a shade of blue unlike most anyone else. Not everyone is keen on Cussy's family or the Library Project, and a Blue is often blamed for any whiff of trouble.

I enjoyed this novel, its emotional and heartbreaking but a book that was entertaining and I enjoyed reading about the lives of the Kentucky mountain people and the coal miners.
I did find it a little too sentimental in places but I can live with this if the story is well told and the fact that I am learning something new pushes this one from a 3.5 Star rating to a 4 Star.

I think readers who enjoyed Orphan Train Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline may well enjoy this one too. I listened to this one on audible and really enjoyed the experience.
76 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

May 17, 2019 – Started Reading
May 17, 2019 – Shelved
May 25, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

Angela M Terrific review, Dem.


message 2: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Thank you Angela.


message 3: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan Oh, yes! Thanks for this review, Dem. I didn't know about this book. Definitely adding.


message 4: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike Really enjoyed your review, Dem, and I couldn't agree more about this point you made:

"Historical Fiction Novels uses emotion to make facts matter and I find these types of novels so important in giving us a glimpse into events and happenings of the past that we might never read about if it was not for historical fiction and any book that educates its readers is a book of Value in my opinion."

Will be looking a little more forward to this one.


message 5: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Lisa wrote: "Oh, yes! Thanks for this review, Dem. I didn't know about this book. Definitely adding."

Dem wrote: "Thank you Angela."

Thanks Lisa.


message 6: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Mike wrote: "Really enjoyed your review, Dem, and I couldn't agree more about this point you made:

"Historical Fiction Novels uses emotion to make facts matter and I find these types of novels so important in ..."


Thank you Mike. Hope you enjoy it.


message 7: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Wonderful review, Dem 💖


message 8: by Carmen (new) - added it

Carmen Great review!


message 9: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Carmen wrote: "Great review!"

Felicia wrote: "Wonderful review, Dem 💖"

Thank you Felicia and Carmen.


Jaline Fabulous review, Dem, and I am so glad you enjoyed this one! :)


message 11: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Jaline wrote: "Fabulous review, Dem, and I am so glad you enjoyed this one! :)"

Thank you Jaline I really enjoyed it.


message 12: by Susanne (new)

Susanne  Strong Wonderful review Dem!


message 13: by Esil (new) - added it

Esil Excellent review, Dem. I like what you say about historical fiction.


message 14: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen I’m looking forward to this one. Great review, Dem


message 15: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Esil wrote: "Excellent review, Dem. I like what you say about historical fiction."

Susanne wrote: "Wonderful review Dem!"

Thank you Susanne and Esil.


message 16: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Jen wrote: "I’m looking forward to this one. Great review, Dem"
Hope you enjoy it Gen.


message 17: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan Great review Dem!!!


message 18: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Susan wrote: "Great review Dem!!!"

Thank you Susan.


back to top