Sue 's Reviews > How We Disappeared

How We Disappeared by Jing-Jing Lee

bookshelves: wwii

I have read many books about the effects of WWII on the people of Europe but this is the first book that I've read about life in Singapore during the occupation by the Japanese. Parts of this book were difficult to read but the novel is beautifully written and a wonderful testament to the women who survived this time period. It is a book that I won't soon forget.

This novel is told in 2 time periods. The first time period in 1942 when 16 year old Wang Di is taken from her home and family and sent to be a 'comfort woman' for the troops. It was difficult to read about her sexual slavery and the life she was forced into. The second time period is 1960. Wang Di lives with her son, daughter in law and grandson, Kevin. Twelve year old Kevin is loved by his family but bullied by his friends. When he inadvertently learns a little bit about the secret his grandmother has been keeping for her long life, he decides to do some detective work and bring the secrets to light for the family. He starts down a path that will change his life and the life of his family.

Weaving together these two timelines this debut novel educates us on a little-known period of history, revealing the strength and bravery shown by numerous women in the face of terrible cruelty. A profoundly moving novel, it is based partly on the author's great-grandfather’s experiences.

This ultimately is the story of love and family and the resilience to overcome whatever happens in life.

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of this book to read and review. All opinions are my own.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How We Disappeared.

May 14, 2019 – Started Reading