Kelsea's Reviews > Teeth in the Mist

Teeth in the Mist by Dawn Kurtagich

bookshelves: audiobook, reviewed

This is a tough book for me to rate, because I feel torn about it.

On one hand, it is ABSOLUTELY creepy, just as promised. For most of the book, I read a paper ARC and listened to the audiobook at the same time and let me tell you - the audiobook is performed phenomenally well! It is full cast and includes creepy whispers, background music, sound effects, and excellent narration. Listening definitely upped the creep factor for me. But the paper book boasts its own special features. It has old-timey letters, word poetry (creative use of spacing, etc.), different fonts, illustrations, and more. I've heard the finished copy has even more of these. So I can't really recommend one format over the other - this is one where I think it's really worthwhile to get both (or buy one and borrow one from the library), for the full experience! If you've read and listened to any of the Illuminae books, you'll understand what I mean.

I buddy read this with two friends and we were all pretty creeped out throughout. Let me tell you. Listening to this book on headphones, alone in a dark room at night with low lighting... eeek! Didn't help that my baby cried and I had to go get her from down the dark hall. Heh. My friends had similarly creepy experiences and thoughts while reading.

From there, well - there are three timelines, each with a different POV character. That is a very, very hard writing element to pull off, and I commend Kurtagich for tackling it. She does a fairly good job. Roan's story is the main POV, with Zoey's secondary and Hermione's brief and dispersed, though diary entries only. Each perspective was distinct and I didn't have any trouble keeping them straight (which is always a risk with this type of story).

However, that's not to say the story isn't confusing. There is a LOT going on and a lot of characters. It's definitely worth slowing down or paying really close attention at the start, when you're gaining your bearings as a reader. This is by no means a simple read. It's really easy to miss things, so this is best read/listened to without other distractions.

On to the story itself. I was pulled in by the mystery and enjoyed uncovering the plot! The characters were interesting and suited both the plot and each respective time frame. A lot happens and there are so many elements to the story.

The parts I had the hardest time with were all at the end. There were some things in the book that were just... too skeevy for me. Especially in a YA book. And I found the ending confusing. To me, the ending felt like the end of a first book in a series, where you expect the rest of the wrap-up to happen in a sequel. As far as I know, Teeth in the Mist is standalone? But if anyone has information otherwise, let me know, because that would change the reading experience for me.

Overall, if you couldn't tell already from my overuse of the word, creepiness is the main strength of the book. Dawn Kurtagich is really, really good at it. Her writing is excellent and I also appreciate that she's tackled an incredibly difficult story format and done so well. I will definitely read more from her in the future, even if her tastes run darker than mine. If you're looking for something that'll give you the feel of a scary story told by the campfire on a dark night, you'll love the vibes of this book.

Free advanced copy provided by The NOVL / Little Brown Young Readers in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Teeth in the Mist.

May 16, 2019 – Shelved
May 16, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
June 22, 2019 – Started Reading
June 22, 2019 – Shelved as: audiobook
June 23, 2019 –
page 132
29.53% "THIS BOOK IS SO CREEPY 😫😍😫😍😫😍"
June 27, 2019 – Finished Reading