Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > Sorry I'm Late, I Didn't Want to Come: One Introvert's Year of Saying Yes

Sorry I'm Late, I Didn't Want to Come by Jessica Pan

bookshelves: read2019, reviewcopy, ebooks

I don't know if I'm an introvert. I know I'm perceived as an extrovert, so much so that when I moved into my current job, one of the librarians who would have to report to me sent me an article about how to care for introverts (ha!) But I have my own hill to climb to actually go out or show up. And I usually enjoy myself if I can hole up with a small group or one person (Gallup calls this the relator strength and doesn't bother with the E/I dichotomy.)

I enjoyed this book where Jessica Pan spent a year doing things outside of her comfort zone, sometimes taking classes or consulting experts along the way. (Some of these experts had really useful advice! Have an exit strategy. Commit to an hour. Bring a friend. Etc.)

One of my favorite chapters was when she told a story at a live event for The Moth. I also loved her comedy routines and how she talked herself into doing it three times. I felt she saw performance as extroverted, and I actually think these situations can be a safe way for introverts to get out there, because being on stage or having a persona does create distance between you and the masses. I'll give her a pass since she interacted quite a bit with fellow performers, even making some friends and connections.

Possibly the even greater extrovert experiences came from the excruciating daily challenges like initiating small talk on London's public transportation when that isn't a norm for anyone, trying to get male strangers to have deep conversations upon meeting them (if I tried this, guarantee that it would be interpreted as flirting, because nobody just goes deep for the sake of deep conversation,) and the daily grind of leaving the house. And I loved her dinner party. What's worse for an introvert than letting others inside your safe space?
I had an ARC of the book from the publisher through Edelweiss and it comes out May 28, 2019.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sorry I'm Late, I Didn't Want to Come.

May 16, 2019 – Started Reading
May 16, 2019 – Shelved
May 16, 2019 –
May 17, 2019 –
May 17, 2019 – Finished Reading
May 19, 2019 – Shelved as: read2019
May 19, 2019 – Shelved as: reviewcopy
May 19, 2019 – Shelved as: ebooks

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones ugh this book sounds like hell. I'm an introvert, and I'm fine with that, I would be completely miserable if I kept fighting my nature. Why would anyone? A year of yeses like this implies that there's something wrong with being an introvert.

Jenny (Reading Envy) Nadine wrote: "ugh this book sounds like hell. I'm an introvert, and I'm fine with that, I would be completely miserable if I kept fighting my nature. Why would anyone? A year of yeses like this implies that ther..."
She does address this. She is not ashamed to be an introvert but she is a transplant to London, and most of her small circle of friends is gone for some reason, so she decides to just spend a year saying yes where she would normally say no. I actually think some of the strategies that she comes up with, that work best for her, allow her to just be an introvert that goes out sometimes. (But of course, not every person has to like every book. You do you.)

message 3: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "Nadine wrote: "ugh this book sounds like hell. I'm an introvert, and I'm fine with that, I would be completely miserable if I kept fighting my nature. Why would anyone? A year of yeses like this im..."

Ah! glad to know! your description here is so much better than what I was seeing.

McKenzie/literarydragon Also Nadine, I think it's important to note that the author did occasionally skip things. She explained that when she wanted to go to something but was letting fear hold her back she would go anyway, but when attending would cause serious panic issues or if the idea of going was just so unpleasant then she would stay home instead. She didn't force herself to unequivocally do everything that she hated just the things that could prove to be truly worthwhile experiences while not damaging her self-worth or fighting her nature unnecessarily. This book is not meant in any way to detract from introverts it is simply meant to remind us that if we are unhappy with the current state of things (including ourselves) we have the power to change them.

Shall I Download A Black Hole And Offer It To You one thing i don't like is the idea we must leave our comfort zones... why? peer pressure? why does what someone else thinks is interesting or a challenge have to be something i should try? i think the idea is born out of our current idea of policing others lives and/or needing validation for ours by getting others to do what we do... weird..
quality review :)