Hâf's Reviews > Perfectly Preventable Deaths

Perfectly Preventable Deaths by Deirdre Sullivan

it was ok

*TRIGGER WARNING for disturbing animal abuse scenes and graphic violence*
A word to describe this novel is anticlimactic. It had such potential to be an amazing witchy novel full of mystery and intrigue, with a stunning cover but it didn't deliver.
The story was incredibly vague, the writing is described as lyrical but to me, it was a book full of very short sentences that either made no sense or repeated everything.
The characters were boring. Catlin was a domineering and selfish sister, Madeline who was internally discovering herself as LGBTQ+ had very little personality, she only ever thought of Catlin. Madeline's self discovery was possibly the only redeeming quality about this book, Mamo was an interesting character and I wish we'd had more of an opportunity to learn about her and her witchcraft.
Members of the community were explained as having some sort of powers but we don't learn anything more about them, it was just so vague it was frustrating.
The supposed murder mystery was predictable. The only action in this novel happened in the last 50 pages or so and to be honest it was disturbing. There was a horrendous animal abuse scene and then a very graphic description of the abuse that had been inflicted on one of the characters. I saw no warning about these scenes and I found them a bit unnerving. To consider that 300 pages of this novel was boring and uneventful, coming across these scenes was very unexpected. I'm not a squeamish person, but I wasn't prepared for the gruesome details.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perfectly Preventable Deaths.

May 16, 2019 – Started Reading