Jocelyn's Reviews > How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy

How to Do Nothing by Jenny Odell

bookshelves: 2019-lust, nonfiction, favorites

WOW. I absolutely love this book. It was exactly what I needed right now. I love Odell's approach to our current culture and how to potentially heal it. Her concept of "do nothing" is not really doing nothing, it's just not succumbing to the attention economy or the culture of achievement/disruption/hustle and grind/progress for progress' sake/ etcetcetc. Instead, we should embrace the concept of just maintaining something or being the stewards of something (including nature, culture, our lives and mental health). One of her arguments that really hit home for me was about how current technology, media, and culture is robbing us of our time and money, thus creating a fractured society unable to focus our sustained attention on group goals to create real change. I feel and see that so much right now with some activism spaces. It's kind of heart breaking. But I felt comforted in her concept of manifest dismantling, where we intentionally undo the damage that has been done to all our spaces (physical, emotional, internal) and then, instead of rebuilding something to fill that space we just leave it open and maintain it minimally to allow it to flourish on its own. Maybe that looks like getting off of social media and starting to go to community meetings, Maybe you say hi to your neighbors more often and get to know them, maybe it's starting to go for runs or walks without your phone or music, maybe it's starting a community garden. This book is very academic and touches on many fascinating concepts. It's hard for me to summarize or really talk about all the reasons I loved it. I know I will be reading it again in the future, and I know that I will be taking some of Odell's ideas to heart and implementing them in my own life. We owe it to ourselves to detach, refocus, and reengage in a more meaningful and deliberate way that does real good in the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Do Nothing.

May 16, 2019 – Shelved