Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > The High Mountains of Portugal

The High Mountains of Portugal by Yann Martel

I listened to most of this book at 2x speed because I just wanted to get through it (last book club read of the year.) Otherwise I wouldn't have read it. Yann Martel writes in fable and allegory but in a way where you spend most of your time with ancient automobiles, cadavers, and chimpanzees and then wonder where your life has gone. I can't say I'd recommend it or that the payoff was worth it, like I kind of get the "message" of the book, but it was agonizing to get to it and I don't think books should have messages to start with! (Based on previous experience, I'm sure my underwhelmed review means my book club loved it!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The High Mountains of Portugal.

May 16, 2019 – Started Reading
May 16, 2019 – Shelved
May 17, 2019 –
60.0% "Really what is the point of this book."
May 19, 2019 –
May 19, 2019 – Finished Reading
May 21, 2019 – Shelved as: read2019
May 21, 2019 – Shelved as: around-the-world
May 21, 2019 – Shelved as: location-portugal
May 21, 2019 – Shelved as: international-book-club
May 21, 2019 – Shelved as: audiobook

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by Angela M (new) - added it

Angela M I just didn’t get this book.

Jenny (Reading Envy) Angela M wrote: "I just didn’t get this book."

Me either.... what is the point?

message 3: by Paula (new)

Paula And the audiobook was awful! In Portugal we don't talk like Zorro! :-)

Jenny (Reading Envy) Paula wrote: "And the audiobook was awful! In Portugal we don't talk like Zorro! :-)"
HA YES. I think at 2x, less of the accent registered, but I do remember that.

Buried In Print I haven't read the book, but the comment about the accent made me giggle: still, I feel compelled to add that unless the author himself was reading, he likely didn't have any input on the audio production and I'm sure sometimes, as with films, they have opinions but no influence. :/

Jenny (Reading Envy) Buried In Print wrote: "I haven't read the book, but the comment about the accent made me giggle: still, I feel compelled to add that unless the author himself was reading, he likely didn't have any input on the audio pro..."
It’s true.

message 7: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ His last book for me was a miss and I haven't gone back to him.

message 8: by Paula (new)

Paula Buried In Print wrote: "I haven't read the book, but the comment about the accent made me giggle: still, I feel compelled to add that unless the author himself was reading, he likely didn't have any input on the audio pro..."

You're absolutely right, but a good narrator can make or break a book for me, even when it's plain English. In this case it was pretty annoying and it made me give up.

Jenny (Reading Envy) Paula wrote: "Buried In Print wrote: "I haven't read the book, but the comment about the accent made me giggle: still, I feel compelled to add that unless the author himself was reading, he likely didn't have an..."

Right, we can still say it's a bad experience and that not be the author's fault. But it might make a meh novel worse.

Jenny (Reading Envy) Elizabeth☮ wrote: "His last book for me was a miss and I haven't gone back to him."

I tried to talk my book club out of this one. It didn't work. I'm super interested to see what they think!

message 11: by Gail (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gail 2 stars from me. I also listened to it and fast forwarded through a lot of nonsense.

Jenny (Reading Envy) Gail wrote: "2 stars from me. I also listened to it and fast forwarded through a lot of nonsense."

My book club's discussion did not make me like it any more. The woman next to me had a similar experience so we griped together.