megs_bookrack's Reviews > The Dead Girls Club

The Dead Girls Club by Damien Angelica Walters

liked it
bookshelves: horror-gothic-to-read, arcs-read

**3.5-stars**

When Heather Cole receives a necklace in the mail, with one half of a 'Best Friends' pendant on it, she can't believe her eyes.

She knows this necklace because it was on the neck of her best friend the night she died. It went into her grave with her.

Or did it?

She panics. She is the only one who knows what happened to Becca that night nearly 30-years ago.

She has to figure out who sent it to her and stop them before they reveal the truth!

Alternating between 'Then' and 'Now' perspectives, the reader slowly learns Becca's fate.

Following the girls 12-year old perspectives, as they hang out discussing all things macabre was the most interesting part of the story for me.

Becca was obsessed with a story of a woman called The Red Lady, think Bloody Mary, and would not stop talking about her.

She regales their friend group with stories about The Red Lady, a woman killed for being a witch, seeking her revenge. Her storytelling is so vivid the girls begin to believe it. Soon it is hard for them to decipher what is real and what is made up.

The 'Now' perspective follows grown-up Heather, a child psychologist, as she tries to piece together who knows the truth about her and Becca.

This part of the story was not as enjoyable for me. Personally, I found adult Heather annoying AF and I could not understand the decisions she was making.

Her thought process and decisions were more like she was still a 12-year old, as opposed to a functioning adult.

Because of my disconnect from the 'Now' portions, the overall story felt uneven. I would rush through 'Now' in order to get back to 'Then'. Due to this, it took me a bit longer to get through this than normal.

The premise was very interesting but the execution fell a little short. Also, for me, I was disappointed with one of the big reveals and felt that some of the narrative didn't fully back up that reveal. I know this sounds cryptic but I don't want to risk giving anything away.

This being said, there are definitely a lot of interesting aspects to this story and I think the writing shows a lot of promise. I would pick up more work from this author.

Thank you so much to the publisher, Crooked Lane Books, for providing me with a copy of this to read and review.

I always appreciate the opportunity to provide my opinion and I know a lot of readers will really enjoy this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dead Girls Club.

May 16, 2019 – Shelved
December 19, 2019 –
page 144
December 30, 2019 –
page 166
59.29% "Those last couple of chapters were definitely intriguing ☺️🖤"
January 1, 2020 –
page 190
67.86% "This lady is really starting to grate on my nerves!!!
😖😖😖"
January 4, 2020 –
page 246
January 4, 2020 – Shelved as: arcs-read
January 4, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Erin Clemence I just finished this one, megs. I hope you love it :)

megs_bookrack Erin wrote: "I just finished this one, megs. I hope you love it :)"
You did!? I will have to look for your review!

Erin Clemence megs_bookrack wrote: "Erin wrote: "I just finished this one, megs. I hope you love it :)"
You did!? I will have to look for your review!"

Thanks, megs. This one had an ending that fell a bit flat but overall it was a good read :)

megs_bookrack Erin wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "Erin wrote: "I just finished this one, megs. I hope you love it :)"
You did!? I will have to look for your review!"

Thanks, megs. This one had an ending that fell a bit flat ..."
I'm looking forward to getting to it. My copy actually arrived in the mail today!

Erin Clemence megs_bookrack wrote: "Erin wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "Erin wrote: "I just finished this one, megs. I hope you love it :)"
You did!? I will have to look for your review!"

Thanks, megs. This one had an ending that fel..."

Happy reading! I look forward to your review. :)

megs_bookrack Erin wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "Erin wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "Erin wrote: "I just finished this one, megs. I hope you love it :)"
You did!? I will have to look for your review!"

Thanks, megs. This one ..."
Thanks so much! xo