Patricia Doyle's Reviews > The Stationery Shop

The Stationery Shop by Marjan Kamali

bookshelves: asian-american-fiction, favorites, netgalley-books, recommend

The Stationery Shop, primarily about Roya and Bahman, begins in Iran and ends in America. It is a beautiful story that makes us realize that life is what happens, not what we plan. I won’t summarize this very complicated story since that’s well covered in the book’s description. I will say that it’s one of the best books I’ve read in a few years.

The story takes place from about 1953 to 2013 and touches on the politics and turmoil of Iran, the Iranian customs requirements of women and families, friendships, love, and so much more. The Stationery Shop is where Roya and Bahman, besides finding books and poetry, found love.

Characters are developed beautifully. The author expertly interweaves all of their lives together. Many, many situations happen in these relationships, some happy, some not so much, all believable. Some of the Persian dishes sounded so good that I actually looked up one of the recipes and am anxious to try it.

I was mesmerized by this book. The pace and writing were captivating. The storylines pulled me in, and my empathy surprised me at times. I hated to put it down when life – and nighttime – called.

I sincerely thank NetGalley and Simon & Schuster for the opportunity to read and review this book. It was my pleasure. Well done, Ms. Kamali. Well done.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stationery Shop.

May 16, 2019 – Started Reading