Cheryl's Reviews > The Man in the High Castle

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick

Very mild spoilers not hidden ahead:

I look forward to the discussion with my irl bookclub. I honestly don't know how I feel about the book at this point. For example, I was sure that I'd have nightmares after finishing it... but I didn't. Most of what I remember is stuff that could have been just presented in a thorough summary... but there are some totally weird bits too. Some aspects seem downright lame... but there are plenty of brilliant bits, too.

Speaking of weird, what was with Juliana's little oratory about hair & bear & turpentine acid?

But brilliant is Childan's confused racism. Surely he doesn't think of himself as a bigot. After all, one of the things he thinks about is how the Japanese can't create, but are masters of imitation... and that is one thing I was distinctly taught in school in the 70s. My teacher surely meant no harm, and if s/he had thought more carefully would have realized that "doesn't" is not equal to "can't" (assuming the seed of truth is that the Japanese were doing more copying than innovating then).

I love the whole thing about the custom jewelry having wu and how to (and whether to) monetize it. All I could think about is Van Gogh's "Starry Night" on coffee mugs and mouse pads....

I love how the businessman tells his secretary to polish up a letter by saying "Sign it, etc. Work the sentences, if you wish, so that they will mean something. Or so that they mean nothing. Whichever you prefer."

I also don't understand (view spoiler)

It took me a couple of reads to begin the appreciate Fahrenheit 451. I bet if I were willing to read this again I'd get more out of it, too. But I doubt I ever will. :shudder:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man in the High Castle.

May 15, 2019 – Shelved