Pamela Mingle's Reviews > Bitterblue

Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore

I loved Bitterblue, just as I loved Graceling and Fire. When we left Bitterblue at the end of Graceling, she was just a child who suddenly finds herself the queen of the Monsean kingdom. Now, at eighteen, she’s beginning to question everyone and everything she rules. To her dismay, her life is filled with endless piles of legal documents, most of which are explained to her and she dutifully signs. But one day she decides there’s much more to her kingdom. She doesn’t know anything about the people, their work, education, pastimes, even where and how they live. She doesn’t know if they’re content. Risking her own safety, Bitterblue, in disguise, begins making nighttime excursions to the streets of the city.

Somewhere along the way, she discovers that true healing, so necessary after the atrocities committed by her father, King Leck, has taken place only superficially, even among her closest advisors. Truth seekers are being cut down, but no one knows by whom. The more she learns, the more Bitterblue wants to know. Both those she loves dearly, as well as her enemies, try to keep the truth from her; the first group to protect her, the latter to prevent the truth from ever coming out.

Bitterblue is a sequel to Graceling (Fire is billed as a companion), and all the characters we met in that book are present here. Katsa, Po, Giddon, and Helda. Plus some fascinating new characters: Saf, Teddy, and their sisters; Fox, Hava, Death (pronounced Deeth). Death grows on us, just as he does on Bitterblue.

By the end, Bitterblue is wiser. Overwhelmed at first by what she discovers, she’s determined that she and her people must come to terms with the past in order to move forward, painful though that will be. Change is coming to her kingdom. Katsa, Po, Giddon, and others will always be there to offer their counsel.

Speaking of Giddon…the budding romance between him and Bitterblue intrigued me. I hope Ms. Cashore will let us in on how that develops in her next book. This author excels at relationships and the emotions wrapped up in them. How lucky for us, her readers!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bitterblue.

February 22, 2012 – Shelved