Dana's Reviews > The Body in Griffith Park

The Body in Griffith Park by Jennifer Kincheloe

The Body In Griffith Park was the third book in the Anna Blanc series where a young female detective solved mysteries at the turn of the century. I loved that these novels have all been set in Los Angeles because I enjoyed learning about the city's history. Here, a body was found in the famous Griffith Park, the location of the Greek Theater, Observatory, and Hollywood sign.

The biggest draw for me to this series has been Anna. It is so refreshing to read about a protagonist who is determined and driven. Anna was a detective with the LA force, but was constantly underestimated by her peers and given stricter rules than anyone else. There were several subplots here that allowed Anna to shine as a detective, especially when she went undercover. At times, it felt like the story was going in too many directions, but ultimately everything converged into a satisfying ending.

One thing that was unique to Anna was that she was being pursued by her romantic interest, and she was the one hesitant to marry him. Her independent nature made her resist giving up her autonomy and that further helped to make her a strong character. At a time where female characters are constantly portrayed as weak or emotional, it was refreshing to have a strong and determined female protagonist. Women now could certainly relate to her workplace struggles.

This is such a charming series, and I am so grateful that I was able to receive a copy of this work from the author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Body in Griffith Park.

May 15, 2019 – Shelved