Rachel's Reviews > A Year of Second Chances

A Year of Second Chances by Kendra Smith

** spoiler alert ** **I received a free ARC from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

A Year of Second Chances is a great weekend, beach, or holidy read! The friendship between Dawn, Suzie, and Charlie is complex and takes on new and different aspects over the course of the book. Although they are very different from one another you can see why they would be friends.

Dawn is the the connecting force that keeps the group together, but I loved that she wasn't perfect. Sometimes her mistakes were funny and sometimes they were more serious. Suzie's obsession with becoming a mother was exhausting, but I never felt it was over done or out of the realm of believability. Her problems with Rex during all of this felt grounded in reality as well. Charlie is the newcomer to the group, but once she allowed herself to be a part of Dawn and Suzie's lives she started to become more of the person I think she always wanted to be. I probably liked her story the most, but I found myself relating to each of them at different parts of the book.

The misunderstandings and complications between each of the women and the man in their life were the types that could have been solved had they been able to have open and honest conversations with one another (but that would have made for a very short book). While that aspect became frustrating over time, when I took a step back I remembered how difficult those types of conversations can be; no one wants to put themselves out there to be rejected or have their dreams trampled on. It's also so natural for us to put the worst possible spin on a situation, and at some point Dawn, Suzie, and Charlie each do just that.

I thought the story moved at a good pace and I never got bored with anyone's storylines. The ending was perfect and well earned for each of the characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Year of Second Chances.

May 15, 2019 – Started Reading