Jake McCrary's Reviews > A Tour of C++

A Tour of C++ by Bjarne Stroustrup

bookshelves: non-fiction, read_2019, tech

First a little about me. I've been a professional programmer since 2007 and I first started learning C++ sometime in 2001-2002. I've worked in a variety of languages with C++ taking up a non-trivial amount of time between the years 2007-2013. The next bit of C++ I wrote (and really, probably read) was in late 2018.

This means I've at least seen and been part of C++'s last decade of transformation. Numerous features have been added to the language and libraries since I originally started with C++. These changes have made it a more approachable language and it is now easier to write correct code in it.

I stopped paying close attention to C++ when I stopped writing it back in 2013.

This book acted as a good refresher on the language and some C++ programming practices. It also helpfully highlighted new additions from C++14 and C++17. I really appreciated the look at some C++20 features, like Concepts.

Overall, I enjoyed the book. It isn't too long but the tour of the language was useful. This isn't a thrilling page turner but it has useful tidbits in it. It is useful to hear those nuggets of wisdom even if you've already heard them.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Tour of C++.

May 7, 2019 – Started Reading
May 13, 2019 – Finished Reading
May 15, 2019 – Shelved
May 15, 2019 – Shelved as: non-fiction
May 15, 2019 – Shelved as: read_2019
May 15, 2019 – Shelved as: tech

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Steven (new)

Steven Deobald This review almost tempts me to read this thing. Almost.

Jake McCrary Steven wrote: "This review almost tempts me to read this thing. Almost."

I think "Almost" is the correct response. Why bother unless you might be writing some C++. I'm sure there are more thrilling programming books out there.