Cameron's Reviews > A Hidden Fire

Feb 22, 2012

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from March 03 to 05, 2012

Originally posted on the blog: What the Cat Read

This book kept me up the entire night. Not because it was scary, but because once I started reading I didn’t want to put it down! Hunter has created a world that is full of rich characters, non-stop mystery, and holds just the right amount of romance. This is a book that will leave you dying to know what will happen next. =^-^=

I really enjoyed the characters in this story. Each one, whether they are a main character or a secondary character, plays a vital role in the overall plot. Hunter does do a wonderful job giving each of these characters a life of their own. Beatrice is a strong, intelligent woman who’s sarcasm made me laugh at several points while I was reading. Giovanni is dark, brooding, and mysterious. Yet at the same time, he genuinely has a good heart and protective nature. Both characters balance and compliment each other perfectly. The secondary characters, Carwyn, Tenzin, Caspar, & Isadora, not only provide support in the form of background information on Giovanni and Beatrice, but also much need comic relief when things get intense. Meanwhile Lorenzo is oily, arrogant, and completely power-hungry. He’s the villain you just love to hate.

As far as mystery is concerned, the story is full of it! Just when I thought I had things figured out, Hunter would twist things ever so slightly to create an entirely new puzzle that needed solving or leave me guessing as to what was going to happen next. This especially holds true within regards to the mystery surrounding Giovanni. There’s so much more to him then Hunter initially let’s you see. I will admit to being surprised at the end when his story finally comes to light. It wasn’t what I expected at all, which made it even more enjoyable because it was so unexpected. I’m not joking when I say that there is much more to Giovanni than meets the eye.

Now of course this book is more than just a paranormal mystery novel. There’s romance in it as well. But it’s not the sudden in your face type of romance that happens the moment the two main characters meet. No, this one is subtle, and it develops and builds as the characters and the story develops. I sort of feel that the title of the book, A Hidden Fire, works well to describe the romance between Giovanni and Beatrice. It starts off small and almost non-existence, but then it starts to burn just a little brighter, until suddenly it’s blazing. At least for a short while. Actually, that was the one problem that I had with this book…just like in real life, our character’s burning romance has some issues that need sorting out. And unfortunately those issues are not resolved in this novel. Curious as to what happens? Read the book! You won’t get any major spoilers from me. Heeheehee

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Hidden Fire.

03/05/2012
20.0% "Loving it so far! It's a bit confusing at first, but the interaction between the two characters is fun and humorous. ;D"
04/09/2016 marked as: read