Jena Henry's Reviews > Yesterday's Tears

Yesterday's Tears by Jane      O'Brien

I’m going to highly recommend Yesterday’s Tears- A Slip in Time, but first I must take time to digress. What is a time slip? In fiction, a time slip is when the main character travels to an earlier point in time but doesn’t know how it happened. Quite often, the main character has been exploring his family history or memorabilia when he slips to that time period. A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court, written by Mark Twain in 1898, was a popular time slip story.

Time travel is somewhat different, and generally refers to a planned trip to the past, using a special machine. The character knows it is happening and the goal is to journey back and forth between points of time. Now that we have that settled, let’s look at Author Jane O’Brien’s latest book. You will want to take time to read it!

Jane O’Brien’s stories take place in her beloved Western Michigan. As this story begins in 2019, a young woman, Francine, has come to her grandparent’s farmstead. It is a sad time, as her grandmother has recently passed, and the rest of Francine’s immediate family will be joining Francine the next day to close the home.

Francine loved her grandparents and their way of life. She begins to go through her grandmother’s trunk, where many beautiful quilts are stored. There is a special story about the quilts. As Francine looks through the handmade quilts and ponders her memories, she begins to cry. Her tear lands on a faded tear mark on one of the quilts. With a tumble, Francine is now at a lonely train depot. She soon learns that it is 1875.

Would you like to go back in time? Even though you were not at all prepared? Could you survive in a small log cabin in the woods without anything? Francine’s life in 1875 is fascinating. She is helped by the townsfolk, and by two handsome men, Luke and Ned. As she grows more comfortable, she falls in love with one of the men and with her new life. But she worries about the 2019 family that she left behind, without a trace.

How Francine solves her time slip problem is truly creative and wonderful. I loved this story. Every time I read a Jane O’Brien book, I always say that it’s my favorite- but this one really is! Author O’Brien infuses all her books with a sense of history and place, and so the time slip writing is quite natural for her. Francine is appealing and resourceful, the townspeople are well-drawn, and the passion between Francine and her lover is engaging and real.

Don’t waste any time- read this book! Thanks to the author for a review copy. This is my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yesterday's Tears.

Finished Reading