megs_bookrack's Reviews > The Family Upstairs

The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell

liked it
bookshelves: arcs-read

When Libby Jones turns twenty-five, she finally gets to open a letter that has been held in trust for her. It contains the identification of her birth parents.

Found at just 10-months old, at the scene of an apparent cult motivated suicide-pact, Libby was adopted out, never knowing more of her true identity.

Upon opening the letter, she learns some startling news. Not just who her parents were but also that she is to inherit their long-abandoned mansion in the swanky-Chelsea neighborhood of London; a house literally worth millions of pounds.

To Libby, working a mundane job designing kitchens, this is a blessed windfall. Unfortunately, due to the circumstances in which she was found at that very property, her windfall is also steeped in trepidation and fear.

Unbeknownst to Libby, she really may have reason to be fearful, for others out there have been waiting for her 25th birthday as well, and they are planning a reunion. Lurking around the property, they await the baby's return.

During the course of the book, we follow three different perspectives and both present and past timelines. I was definitely more intrigued by some sections of this book as opposed to others. This gave it a pacing issue for me personally and I felt the formatting was a bit wonky.

To be completely frank, I didn't really find it interesting until about the 70% point and then I couldn't put it down. Again, pacing issue. Unfortunately, that's too much of a slow burn, even for me, the lover of slow burns, to give it a higher star rating.

There were entire portions at the beginning that I would have preferred to skip right over. Let's say, anything set in France, I was bored to tears.

However, as mentioned above, the ending really did pick up and I think over all the story premise had a lot of promise, and for these reasons I bumped my rating up from around a 2.5 to a 3.

This is a good book. I know a lot of readers will absolutely love it and I support that. It just wasn't necessarily the perfect book for me.

Thank you so much to the publisher, Atria Books, for providing me with a copy of this to read and review. I appreciate the opportunity!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Family Upstairs.

May 15, 2019 – Shelved
May 15, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
October 20, 2019 – Started Reading
October 22, 2019 –
October 30, 2019 –
12.0% "Little slow thus far, not going to lie..

"
November 2, 2019 –
29.0% "Starting to pick up a little bit...

"
November 6, 2019 –
November 7, 2019 –
November 9, 2019 –
November 12, 2019 –
November 13, 2019 –
68.0% "I don't think I could plod through this any slower than I actually am...
🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌"
November 14, 2019 –
November 14, 2019 –
85.0% "Oh, now we get interesting... 🤦‍♀️"
November 16, 2019 – Shelved as: arcs-read
November 16, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

message 1: by Brandice (new) - added it

Brandice Great review, Meg! Sorry to hear it wasn’t necessarily for you. I’m intrigued because it’s Lisa Jewell yet hesitant with the many mixed reviews I’ve seen so far! Hope you love your next book!

megs_bookrack Brandice wrote: "Great review, Meg! Sorry to hear it wasn’t necessarily for you. I’m intrigued because it’s Lisa Jewell yet hesitant with the many mixed reviews I’ve seen so far! Hope you love your next book!"
This was my first book by her. I am wondering if maybe her style just isn't for me. I think if you have enjoyed books from her before, you should definitely pick it up!! I hope to see your thoughts on it someday 🥰

Dita I enjoyed this more than you did but your review is outstanding, Girlfriend!

megs_bookrack Dita wrote: "I enjoyed this more than you did but your review is outstanding, Girlfriend!"Thank you so much! I saw you loved it. So many of my other friends did as well. I just wish I could have been more invested in it from the start because the end was good.

Dita It was definitely a slow burn.

megs_bookrack Dita wrote: "It was definitely a slow burn." Which is what frustrated me because normally I LOVE a slow burn, I really do, I'm not sure why this didn't work for me. Maybe I was in a mood...

Dita There are lots of books that just don't land well with me and I kind of recognize that it's more me than the writing. You were very fair!

Tucker It's honestly so annoying when books do that. You dislike them but then the last chunk is amazing. It's so hard to rate books like that. Great review!

megs_bookrack Dita wrote: "There are lots of books that just don't land well with me and I kind of recognize that it's more me than the writing. You were very fair!"I appreciate that! It's tough too because you want to enjoy it as much as everyone else, but alas, as we've discussed before, we have to be honest.

megs_bookrack Tucker wrote: "It's honestly so annoying when books do that. You dislike them but then the last chunk is amazing. It's so hard to rate books like that. Great review!"Yesssss! I totally agree, Tucker. I am hoping I was fair with this one.

message 11: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Fabulously reviewed Meg!!👍💋💝😉

megs_bookrack Kat wrote: "Fabulously reviewed Meg!!👍💋💝😉"
Thank you so much, Kat! I appreciate that!

message 13: by Emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emma Garland Completely agree! Fab review ☺️

megs_bookrack Emma wrote: "Completely agree! Fab review ☺️" Thank you so much, Emma! xo