Victoria's Reviews > Library: An Unquiet History

Feb 22, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: nonfiction, professional-development
Read from February 22 to March 01, 2012

I have given myself a personal challenge to read the books I own. They sit on my shelf at home staring at me accusingly and expectantly. I trot in and out the door with my stack of library books or snuggle on the couch with my Kindle. In my head I say, "I own them. They will wait for me." If books had feelings the books on my shelves would reek of abandonment, insecurity, jealousy. It is time to give them the attention they deserve.

I bought this particular book in 2004 at the Harvard Coop. I was a bright-eyed, idealistic Library Science graduate...and it's taken me 8 (eight!) years to get around to reading it. The book is a bit dry and academic (the author is, after all, a Harvard Librarian) and it's chock full of dates, places, names - more than I care to remember. However, the history of libraries is rich, varied, and, it turns out, quite interesting. It was good to embrace the bigger picture of my profession. It is extremely well-researched (the author is, remember, a Harvard Librarian) and he covers everything from ancient libraries, to Nazi book burning, to mid-east war-torn libraries, - and everything inbetween.

Overall, I enjoyed it and I'm so, so glad I finally read it. I am, after all, a Greeley Librarian.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Library.

message 1: by Meagan (new)

Meagan I also own this book, and I also have neglected it. Well, all my books really. I'm going on year #2 of stern conversations with myself about not checking out so many books, already. Wish me luck. :)

Victoria We need to start a support group....?!

message 3: by Meagan (new)

Meagan Library Users Anonymous?