Lainy's Reviews > The Gift of Friends

Pages - 480

Publisher - Headline

Source - Competition win

Blurb from Goodreads

From the Number One bestselling author Emma Hannigan comes The Gift of Friends, a magical story of love, friendship and hope.

Kingfisher Road - a leafy, peaceful street in the town of Vayhill. But there are whispers behind closed doors. Who is moving into Number 10?

Engaged to handsome, wealthy Justin Johnston, Danielle appears to her new neighbours to have the perfect, glossy life. But not everything is as it seems...

In fact, each of the other four women who live close by has a secret, and each is nursing their own private heartache.

But could a gift be waiting on their doorsteps? And, by opening their front doors, and their hearts, to each other, could the women of Kingfishers Road discover all the help they need?

My Review

Kingfisher Road is a wee well to do area and about to have a new arrival in number 10. Danielle and Justin will be the new neighbours next to four other houses, the neighbours well established and everyone knows everyone, seemingly. Even with a close knit street all the neighbours have secrets and problems the others know nothing about, how long can secrets remain hidden and do you ever really know your neighbours?

So this is my first time reading this author, I won a copy for me and a friend as part of a competition. This was Emma's last book, submitted before she passed away after a long battle with cancer. The book is filled with so much heart, emotion, love, ups and downs of family lives and some characters you will love and some you will hate.

I got drawn into their worlds so quickly and when each chapter flipped to another of the neighbours I wanted to keep going with the one I was reading, every time! You just wanted to know what was coming next, if X person(s) would get their just deserts. As they are families there are a lot of emotive type situations and dramas that you can't help but get drawn into. Either you will have experience X situation yourself or someone close to you has.

Hannigan has a way of bringing the characters to life and making you want to read faster to see where it is going. Some of it readers may find difficult to read as there are passages of abuse, emotional/violence and targetting of vulnerable individuals by those closest to them. A whole host of emotions and had work not got in the way I likely would got through this in one sitting. 4.5/5 for me, this may have been my first by this author, it won't be my last, I will be checking out her back cataologue!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gift of Friends.

May 15, 2019 – Started Reading