H.A. Titus's Reviews > Shard & Shield

Shard & Shield by Laura VanArendonk Baugh

Shard and Shield is a fantastic epic fantasy novel from Laura Van Arendonk Baugh. Even while we get a sense of the greater stakes in the worlds around the characters, I still enjoyed the tight focus on the four main characters--Shianan, Luca, Ariana, and Tam. I loved Shianan's arc (even though there were moments with a certain antagonistic/abusive person in his life that made me grit my teeth and think "This is as bad as the Umbridge scenes in Goblet of Fire!"), especially the growing friendship between him and Luca. The two and their arcs mirrored each other so well that for me, they were definitely the stars of the book.⁠
I had a bit of a hard time getting into the book right at first, as I usually prefer a slower introduction and build up to the main story, whereas Shard and Shield dropped us more into the middle of things.⁠
I loved the idea of dual worlds, and I love how both sides in the war were represented. Usually in fantasy, we have the one side that is definitely good, and the one side that is absolutely evil. This trope was twisted around, and we were shown good and evil characters on both sides. I appreciated all the themes, from rising above one's background/situation, to opposite sides learning to listen to each other...there's really so many things just in this one book that are all well thought out and represented, and it would take a dozen reviews to unpack them all properly.⁠
Shard and Shield is definitely a fantastic addition to the fantasy genre. Another winner from Laura Van Arendonk Baugh! I can't wait for the next books!!⁠
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shard & Shield.

May 14, 2019 – Started Reading