Maurinejt's Reviews > Snuff

1220877
Feb 22, 2012

liked it
Read in February, 2012

Usually when I don't a like a Terry Pratchett book it is because Pratchett isn't committed to the subject matter. In his best books, he cares a great deal and it shows. This wasn't the case here, I liked parts of this book very much. Vimes in the country, socializing with (i.e., threatening) the nobility is a beautiful thing. The main thrust of the story, the exploitation of the goblins, was handled with sincerity--though it was somewhat clumsy and heavy-handed. However, there were actually mechanical issues in this one. What bugged me the most were conversations that went on and on pointlessly for pages. There were so many extra details that important plot points were buried in the morass leaving the reader confused as the action moved forward. Other issues were a denouement told in choppy vignettes, losing the flow of the book; and a happy about face in the prevailing attitudes towards a shunned and degraded race that seemed a little too pat.

I might try reading this again someday, maybe it will be easier to follow and I will enjoy it more. But towards the end it was a struggle and I was relieved when it was over.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snuff.